St Maarten/Anguilla trip...advise please?!

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:07 AM
tanja

St Maarten/Anguilla trip...advise please?!

Am traveling mid-Jan and wanted to split 5-night trip between St Maarten and Anguilla. Fiance and myself looking for mid-$ range hotel preferably on or very close to beach. Looking to kick back and relax, enjoy good dinners with a little night life, and of course experience the local culture, etc. Any advise on hotels, things to do, and places to dine will be appreciated.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:22 AM
BilK

When you get to Anquilla make sure you do lunch on Scilly Cay (pronounced silly key) There's a free boat shuttle at the end of the pier. They have a steel band a couple of days a week. Plan to spend the afternoon. Say hi to Doxie.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 11:24 AM
BigT

I've never been to either - but you better treat that man very well if he is taking you to either of these places. Enjoy 1-4-3.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Georgie

My husband and I stayed at Blue Waters (Anguilla) in May, and it was great. VERY inexpensive off season - $125/night. Not sure what the in season rates are, but I think it doubles. Not sure if that is what you're looking for, but it sure is a nice place - right on the beach. Don't miss Oliver's - it was our favorite meal. Have fun!

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Vanessa

For a lovely breakfast, be sure to visit Z Best which is a little cafe in Marigot near the marina. The pastries were amazing as was the "French French Toast". I don't think I'll ever forget that breakfast.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 03:03 PM
penny

Blue Waters is in a great location. Also check out Frangapani on meads Bay, it has alot of fans and is very nice. Both are directly on the beach. A good source for info on Anguilla is Bob Greens's newsletter,explore the past issues, go to restaurants ai and hotels ai- the web addresss is www.news.ai It will give you lots of info!Enjoy!

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Karen

Anguilla is lovely and you will want to have dinner at Straw Hat! Definately a great place and my favorite of my trip!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:51 AM
Melissa

We just got back from St. Martin where we stayed in Grand Case (touted to be the gourmet capitol of the Caribbean). The town is literally a mile long stretch of road that has about 15 restaurants, and I am not kidding you when I say that we ate there for 8 nights and each meal was better then the next! We stayed at a beautiful hotel called the l'Esplanade (www.esplanade-caraibes.com), it is on top of a hill overlooking the ocean and the town of Grand Case. It is a short walk to both. After touring the island we were convinced that we wouldn't have stayed anywhere else.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:53 AM
Melissa

We just got back from St. Martin where we stayed in Grand Case (touted to be the gourmet capitol of the Caribbean). The town is literally a mile long stretch of road that has about 15 restaurants, and I am not kidding you when I say that we ate there for 8 nights and each meal was better then the next! We stayed at a beautiful hotel called the l'Esplanade (www.esplanade-caraibes.com), it is on top of a hill overlooking the ocean and the town of Grand Case. It is a short walk to both. After touring the island we were convinced that we wouldn't have stayed anywhere else.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 07:04 PM
Jenny

In Anguilla the dining should include Blanchard's for dinner, and Hibernia for lunch. Both are excellent ! <BR>Enjoy ! <BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 04:48 PM
Anita

Hi, Tanja <BR> <BR>I have to agree with the other two folks and say Grand Case for St. Martin. I love the entire island. Be sure to get into Phillipsburg for great shopping. The restaurants on the French side are amazing. You'll love it! Best of luck and happy travels! <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:46 AM
nancy

We have been travelling to St. M every year since 1978. GREAT restaurants. spend a day at Orient Beach. Don't miss breakfast at ZEE BEST in Marigot, ask for Dany. Reserve ahead at Mario's Bistro just outside Marigot. Have dinner on a Thurs nite in the marina area for live music & a mini parade. In Phillipsburg, eat dinner at Antoine's. Gran Case eat "everywhere", especially L'Alabama.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Jane

Don't miss the flea market in Marigot. Some stuff is your usual caribbean tourist fare - but you can find some very unique things as well.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Melanie

I can second the vote for L'Esplanade Caraibes. It is a beautiful little hotel. The only drawback is that it isn't directly on the beach, and there is a little bit of a walk down the hill into town, but there is an absolutely gorgeous view of Grand Case and Anguilla in the distance. I always felt like I needed the walk back up the hill after dinner... Even though there is a beach at Grand Case, we always spent the day on Orient Beach, about 15 minutes away. Enjoy! I envy you.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:19 AM
Chris

Although you can not go wrong with any of the restaurants in Grand Case - one of our favorites in L'Alabama. The hospitality and food are both outstanding.