Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St Lucia vs Grenada (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-lucia-vs-grenada-853819/)

jewell_317 Aug 9th, 2010 10:47 AM

St Lucia vs Grenada

This is my first time posting...I am researching for my honeymoon in Feb. 2011. I have read all the reviews that I can pertaining to St Lucia and Grenada and I am torn. We are looking for hiking in the rainforest, scuba/snorkeling (beginners so not a deciding factor), biking, horseback riding, getting lost in the culture of the island itself site seeing, and of course lounging on the beach.

I have read that St Lucia is not known for its beaches, but does that mean that they are not beautiful?

I have read that Grenada has rainforest but dont hear alot about how adventurous it is. Has anyone ziplined here? Is it even an option? ( I know it is in St Lucia).

Im not closed to other Islands, its just these two seem to interest me the most. I have looked at Antigua as well, but keep coming back to these.

Oh, and we havent fully decided if we want to go AI or not. Were thinking not, so we dining out will just be apart of the adventure. However, any input on where to stay would be great as well!

Thanks,

Odin Aug 9th, 2010 11:36 PM

<<I have read that St Lucia is not known for its beaches, but does that mean that they are not beautiful?>> Absolutely not - they are beautiful. Anse Cochon which is by the hotel Ti Kaye is a beach with golden beige sand (not brown), you can snorkel here and also there is a scuba dive facility on the beach as well. It is beautiful. Anse Chastenet is on a greyish beige sand beach , it is stunningly gorgeous and again plenty of snorkeling and scuba at the dive shop on the beach.

Reduit Beach has white sand (or very light beige).

Grenada has Grand Etang national park, don't know about ziplining but there are hikes you can take. Grenada is a lovely island as well as St Lucia, locals in Grenada are quite friendly. I had AI on both islands and have also had no meal plans on previous visits - both islands have enough dining options but it might work out expensive. If you stay at Anse Cochon or Chastenet I would recommend a meal plan as they are remote but if you stayed in Grenada around Grand Anse you could go room only or breakfast only option.

Antigua does not have a rainforest.

SuziMason Aug 10th, 2010 05:23 AM

The Grand Etang Rainforest in Grenada has a range of hiking trails, from mini-trails to the more rigorous ones. There are also nature trails and a crater lake in the Rainforest. At this time there is no ziplining.
Grenada has over 50 dive sites and the largest natural wreck in the Caribbean (the Bianca C) which is great for diving and there are several snorkel sites, including the Underwater Sculpture Park at Molinere.
Mountain-biking is one of the activities - but Im not sure about horse-back riding - used to be available at one time.
There are 45 white sand and 9 black sand beaches on the island and most of the hotels are located on the famous Grand Anse Beach, which is a 2-mile stretch of white, powdery sand and very calm waters - excellent for swimming or just lounging in the sand.
Grenada has a very rich culture and there are cultural events taking place during most months of the year. In February there is the a sailing regatta on the Grand Anse Beach which attracts many visitors as well as locals - it includes a fusion of food and music and cultural performances over several days. The Fish Friday Festival is also one way to experience the local culture - it takes place in the fishing village of Gouyave every Friday from 6pm until 1pm - fresh fish, lobsters (in season), etc. are cooked on open fires and there is usually music and cultural performances which makes a great atmosphere.
Where to stay depends on budget - Grenada has a range of accommodation from 5-star to cottages, self-contained apartments, villas, guest-houses, etc. Most of the hotels are located along the Grand Anse Beach area which is on a main bus route and within walking distance of restaurants, shopping, banks, etc.
Take a look at the Board of Tourism's website for more details on accommodation and activities - www.grenadagrenadines.com.
Grenada would be a great choice.

jewell_317 Aug 10th, 2010 06:29 AM

Thank your for your input. I dont think we will go wrong either way, its just that once in a lifetime "honeymoon" trip. We are looking at Jalousie Plantation or Anse Chastanet in St Lucia. Both are obviously beautiful. Are there any downsides to either that I should be aware of?

In Grenada we would prob stay some place along Grand Anse Beach. How easy is it go get to the Grenadines from here?

Would we need to rent a car at both locations at least for a couple of days or would public transportation suffice?

Odin Aug 10th, 2010 07:02 AM

We always rent a car as we prefer the freedom that gives us - the roads in St Lucia are very potholed and in some places very windy. The road to Anse Chastanet is quite scary IMO as it is unmade with big holes and quite steep. We did not rent a 4X4 which would have been better. Grenada's roads are a bit better.

mollymcdee Aug 10th, 2010 04:13 PM

While both Anse Chastanet and The Jalousie Plantation resort are beautiful and are located in one of the most stunning parts of the island, you might enjoy the white sand beach at Jalousie more than the grey sand of Anse Chastanet (the rooms at Anse Chastanet are also definitely in need of some work... you may want to look at Jade Mountain instead... a total escape with three walls, and no distractions like TVs). Jalousie has fabulous new luxury villas which are perfect for honeymooners and also have all the mod cons (flat screen TVs, iPod docking stations etc). The restaurants and bars are also newly renovated... or brand new full stop. If you do decide on Jalousie, be sure to book into the luxury villa category (preferably with an Ocean View) or into the Sugar Mill Rooms (they will also be completely refurbished by the time you want to take your honeymoon) The Sugar Mills represent tremendous value for money and are very conveniently located just steps from the beach whereas the luxury villas will afford more privacy and larger plunge pools. Both have an amazing location smack between the World Heritage-listed Piton mountains. You can also choose breakfast only, half board (breakfast and dinner), AI or room only. You have a fantastic choice of restaurants in the surrounding area (Dasheene, Mango Tree, Debbies, Fond Doux Plantation, Camilla's and many others with great local fare). St Lucia in general is a brilliant vacation destination. There's a wealth of activities to try--from climbing the Gros Piton and zip-lining through the rainforest canopy, to scuba diving and market strolling looking for bargains.

fanofcrenada Aug 11th, 2010 12:31 AM

As you can see I'm a fan of Grenada and as such cannot stress how lovely this island is, not only beautiful beaches and good leisure diving, including the spectacular first ever underwater sculpture park, made up of life-size human statues.
Hotel; you will be spolt for choise. Sir Royston Hopkin's Spice Island is 5 star excellence, directly on the beach. La Luna is luxury chic and then there is Mount Hartman Bay was a private property, now a very upmarket (yet relaxed) boutique hotel. As your interest is in activity what about LaSource; spa and activity on a lovely beach.

You sound like activity is a priority, well the trekking in the rain forest is excellent. diving, sailing, some new speed boat attractions that take you to interesting ecological parts of the islands. Island guides are particularly well informed and can show you the sights as well as glimpsing Grenada's history with the petroglyphs.

You did not mention food but there is a Gary Rhodes Restaurant, plus 4 or 5 other restaurants with world class gourmet cuisine, including one on a boat/lighthouse; or if you are looking for local food experiences there are so many on offer. Take a trip to the Morne Fendue Plantation Great House in Sauteurs. Try Patrick's in St George's - the prettiest capital in the Caribbean - for an exptrodinary taste of up to 18 local dishes...
Grenadian's are shockingly relaxed and friendly. No chance of getting lost, there will always be someone to offer you assistance and if you are going to take a car for a couple of days, that's a great idea; Grenada is only 133 sq miles, a drive around the island is spectacular. Go to Belmont Estate for traditional food and a sight of 'black gold'. Nutmeg to you and me, one of the crops that has made Grenada famous as the spice isle.
It would be easy to go on and on. Why not do both islands... 7 nights on one and 7 nights on the other!!!

jewell_317 Aug 11th, 2010 04:59 AM

Thanks everyone for your time that you put into these posts. It is very helpful for the inexperienced traveler like myself.

Initially we wanted to go to the Grenadines but through research I read that it was very expensive and it seemed out of our range for this trip after the expense of the wedding. However, this morning I accidentally found this site that makes it seem totally doable. Has anyone used Elite Island vacations to book a vacation? Or stayed at the Palm Island Resort in the Grenadines. It would be a much more laid back experience then what we were looking for in St Lucia, but seems to be worth it. Looks beautiful!

Any thoughts?

jewell_317 Aug 11th, 2010 10:06 AM

Ok....so, I think after long hard researched St Lucia has won! With that being said....Molly your response was very helpful with The Jalousie. Jade Mountain is a little out of our budget for this trip, but we are strongly considering Jalousie and Ti Kaye. Jalousie does not post alot of pics on their site of the resort so if anyone has some that they would like to share please do. My only reservation is that I LOVE to walk the beach at night and these in the pics shown look so small. Should that be a concern?

Should I start another post on this topic?

Odin Aug 11th, 2010 11:44 PM

There are alot of steps down to the beach at Ti Kaye, not sure if anyone should walk on the beach at night. It is also remote so car rental would be advisable otherwise getting anywhere will be expensive by taxi. Have not stayed at Jalousie but would expect the transport situation to be the same.

caribbeanlove Aug 15th, 2010 01:15 PM

St Lucia is a fabulous destination. However, please do not walk any of the beaches there at night. That would be asking for trouble.

If you stay at Ti Kaye or Jalousie they are both remote. You will either be spending a lot of time at the resort itself, accumulating taxi fares or renting a vehicle. You can hire a driver who will bring you around for your entire stay. It is definitely less expensive to rent a vehicle but the driving can be difficult with the heavy vegetation, blind curves and very hilly terrain.

tableronde Aug 16th, 2010 09:20 PM

Hi Jewell,
You didn't mention how much time you have for your trip. We're also looking at a leisurely first week in St. Lucia, with local activities. Taking into consideration a full day of travel to get there. Since the return flights all leave in the afternoon, it means having to spend the night en route somewhere. So we mean to go to a second island with a different flavor; and fly back from that different destination in the morning. Like taking a ferry to Martinique, maybe even to Dominica... as Odin has mentioned.

jewell_317 Aug 17th, 2010 08:27 AM

Tableronde,
That is a great idea...We are planning 9 days total. 2 for travel, so I will check into it. Thanks all for the heads up on walking the beach at night. I know that i said St Lucia won, but would this be a concern in Grenada or would it be safer?

josiesxm Aug 20th, 2010 01:39 AM

Hi there, I think Grenada is pretty safe but I wouldn't walk on the beach at night wherever I was though to be honest. I don't think that nowadays it is a good thing to do.

If you want somewhere off the beaten track in Grenada - have you checked out Petite Anse Hotel - it is in a quaint town with friendly locals. I stayed there a while back, and it was such a refreshing and relaxing break and they have a honeymoon suite too. You could even actually walk the beach at night there as it is small and safe - I will take back what I said lol!

travelenthusiast Aug 20th, 2010 06:43 PM

Bookmarking for future use - We're having a similar dilemma in choosing between these two islands.

SuziMason Aug 26th, 2010 08:12 AM

If you stay in the Grand Anse area, there is no need to rent a vehicle as it is on a main bus route and there are restaurants, banks, shopping centres, supermarkets, beaches all within walking distance. It is also fun to explore using the local buses.

tabhauser Sep 22nd, 2010 05:29 AM

Go to my private web site www.tabhauser.com and click Grenada or St Lucia. This is a private site, no ads, sign ins, etc. It will give you a good feel on both places. They are both very pretty. Of St Lucia, stay ONLY in the south. In grenada, we like Grand Beach

BellaClaire Sep 22nd, 2010 04:59 PM

Palm Island - is fantastic -but VERY SMALL - you can walk around it in 5 minutes - the history behind it is fabulous - used to be called Prune Island - then bought by a guy named John Caldwell - read Desperate Voyage - an adventure and love story

Grenada - I love Grenada - the people are awesome - the island beautiful - staying on Grand Anse would be nice - but if you are going to the grenedines - might like Bequia or Mayreau better -if you are thinking of Palm Island - then look up Bequia or Mayreau

St. Lucia - I love St. Lucia too - the Pitons are awesome. If you go there -be sure to check out Ladera or Jade Mountain - maybe not to stay - but go for lunch definately.

Both islands take a while to get to. If you go to St Lucia and fly into UVF - take a helicopter to SLU - it's an adventure and a great sight seeing trip

Good Luck and congratulations!

BellaClaire Sep 22nd, 2010 05:07 PM

By the way - regardless where you go..if you like to read.....be sure to Read Desperate Voyage by John Caldwell....I went to Palm Island back in say 1996 or so....I met his son who told the story - if you are a romantic - and on your honeymoon - you'll love it - and I bet your mate would too!

bellaboo Sep 23rd, 2010 03:20 AM

Why not stay at Stonefield Estate Villas? You have free use of the Jalousie Beach/ free shuttle there a few x a day from Stonefield. The Stonefield Villas are very romantic & the views to petit piton are amazing, stunning to say the least. Ti Kaye is very sweet but lacks the amazing/ dramatic views that St Lucia is famous for....you'd be cheating yourself, lol! We snorkeled at Anse Chastenet, Jalousie & Ti Kaye & Ti Kaye was just ok....(with big boatloads of tourists from up north). At Stonefield you have the most romantic, private little villas with your own plunge pool, plus if you call the hotel directly they give you a much better rate than advertised.....(and take a peek at Ladera btw).