St. Lucia v. Virgin Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much independent research -- it's really become a bit of an obsession -- my girlfriend and I need some honest advice and tie-breaking votes about where to go in either the Virgin Islands (Tortolla, Virgin Gorda and St. John seem to be the front runners) or St. Lucia. <BR><BR>We've found various things about each of these destinations that we love; beaches/snorkeling in Tortola, proximity to the Baths from any of the Virgin Islands, hiking and exploring on St. Lucia, lack of crowds on St. John, etc. Likewise, we've found draw backs to each of these, too.<BR><BR>Basically, here's what we're looking for in order of importance:<BR>1. Romantic escape (read: nice rooms, privacy and beautiful setting -- which shouldn't be hard in the Carribean)<BR>2. Watersports (primarily snorkeling and sea kayaking and possibly fishing or a nice sail boat ride, e.g. Dual Bliss was recommended in BVI)<BR>3. Good food<BR>4. Adventure (i.e. hiking and/or mountain biking in St. Lucia)<BR>5. We don't want to be too wed to one location and just resort restaurants (we're only there for 4 nights, but would want to explore the main towns or places off the beaten path at least once)<BR>6. Nightlife, but nothing ridiculous. We're going for relaxation, but would certainly like to have a night or two of music and drinks.<BR><BR>The main dilemma here is whether Ti Kaye on St. Lucia can offer all of the above at a reasonable price, even without the great beaches or night life of, say, a Sandals. Or, whether we need to try to find something on either Tortola, St. John or Virgin Gorda that's in our price range (not Caneel) but has decent food and proximity to someplace worth going.<BR><BR>Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated! Also, if any one has info on Ti Kaye -- good or bad -- that would be appreciated, too.<BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:38 AM

I have not been to either (so my opinion may be moot) but I've been obsessing (like you) about St. Lucia. It looks to be the most romantic island in the Caribbean. There is a hotel (www.ansechastanet.com) that is probably out of your price range but they have an amazing photo gallery of St. Lucia. You might want to check it out and see if the island appeals to you.

I've been to the Cayman Islands, Cozumel, Martinique, T&amp;Cs, Bahamas, Jamaica and St. Bart's and none of them (except maybe Martinique) were as beautiful as the pictures I've seen of St. Lucia. That is definitely our next destination.

Hope my uneducated opinion helps!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:45 PM

What a quandary! You've picked some of my favorites. I've been to Tortola (long bay resort and private villa), St. John (camped), and St. Lucia (the aforementioned Anse Chastanet and private villa near Ladera). With romance/privacy, and water sports as your top priorities, St. John is the clear winner. There are beautiful villas in every price range, lots of hiking and snorkeling, and great restaurants. Second on my list for you would be Tortola, then St. Lucia. (I've only been to VG on daytrips but seems like a remote version of Tortola) While St. Lucia is definitely romantic, it is difficult to get to Castries/north (where shopping/nightlife would be) from Soufriere area/south...whereas St. John is smaller, American driving, just easier. Tortola is a close second, but not as much hiking/snorkeling/kayaking. However it costs less in my opinion, and has more of the Caribbean culture than StJ - but that wasn't in your list so StJ is the winner. Rent a jeep &amp; villa for unforgettable romance. Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:54 PM

just a thought--i love st. lucia, it's breathtaking. however, it is also very difficult to trek out on your own for the first time there--the road is treacherous particularly at night. who wants to think about that when you are more interested in all those things on your list. I'd go for a home base of St. Martin or Anguilla, then be able to do all those great day trips to neighboring islands and hit your list with ease. Transpo back and forth is affordable, and fun!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 08:32 PM

One of the best things about STJ is getting out in a jeep and &quot;exploring&quot; the island. You can set off for a day of finding great beaches(with snorkeling), great hikes, beautiful vistas and it just doesn't get any better. Good Luck whatever you choose---it's all good.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:18 AM

When we first arrived in the Virgin Islands, my husband and I looked at each other and said, &quot;Why have we never been here before?&quot; They are very unique islands. We slept every night in cool tropical breezes and relaxed more than we ever have on any vacation. The views are spectacular. There is simply no comparison as to which is better. We didn't enjoy our vacation to St. Lucia. like everyone else, we always hope for a carefree vacation and didn't get it there. The bugs were so bad that leaving St. Lucia, some people were counting bug bites for entertainment. I won. The water was very rough. The food was just so-so. There is no nightlife. There really is no comparison!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Knowing: That's very ironic that you mention the bugs in St. Lucia...because when we camped at Maho Bay on St. John, the noseeums were relentless. Although we were in a screened tent, and I wore long pants to bed tucked inside my socks, with long sleeves, I have never been so bitten in my life (and that's saying alot for me!). It was creepy...just glad i'm not allergic! I remember when we went to the beaches, we would stay submerged because you couldn't lay out, you'd be devoured.

We loved St. Lucia as well as St. John, but it's true that StL is more work, yet the Caribeean feel to that island cannot compare to St. John IMHO. We loved renting a villa, talking with the locals and enjoying the music, food, flowers and visiting the markets.

Then again the color of StJ's water more than makes up for it! I guess sunhungry just has to go to all these islands!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:04 AM

Go to Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands! It's a totally unspoiled island and you'll find everything you're looking for! Check their offical website www.bviwelcome.com.
Regine
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:36 AM

I have been to St John 4 times and bugs were never an issue. Especially on the beach. I was in St Lucia once,
and I could not compare these two Islands. St John definately has the better beaches &amp; water. The sand in some areas of St Lucia is very dark I have heard that some resorts ship in white sand?? They are both worth a visit but my favorites are the British &amp; US Virgin Islands and from St Johns your can visit many of them on day trips.

ML
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:18 PM

St. Lucia was my &quot;vacation from hell.&quot; I would not go back there if someone paid me. It is certainly not an island that is conducive to exploring because the roads are sooooo bad. Suffice it to say, I would choose ANY island over St. Lucia at this point!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 11:17 AM

I've been to both destinations and enjoyed both but I would definitely return to USVI/BVI again. We found both destinations to be on the expensive side.

In St.Lucia, we stayed at Anse Chastenet. Loved the food and the accomodations (very secluded and romantic) but my husband hated the lack of A/C and the daily hike up the 200+stairs to get to the dining room. There were a lot of bugs all of the time, whether it was mosquitos or noseums, many of the guests were covered in bites. As others have mentioned, it is hard to get around by yourself in St. Lucia. We did a tour of the rain forest through the resort which was really great and educational. You can also hike around the resort's property or mountain bike. Snorkeling off the beach is better than most places I've been to.

USVI allowed us a lot more flexibility to go around by ourselves without having to book with a tour. Taxis are affordable and easy to come by. We stayed at Wyndham Sugar Bay which was alright. We did a day trip to BVI and saw the Baths which is a must. Snorkeling just off the beaches is the best I've experienced. Saw a great selection of things fish and others like rays, an octopus, shark, squid, lobsters, puffer and turtles. There is a really nice gentleman that does a night snorkel which is such a great experience. I can't remember his name but if you're interested just send me and email and I'll try to find out.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:34 PM

I've been to the Virgin Islands three times and have done all vacations by boat. Using Nautic Blue and Moorings. I have to tell you Tortola is my least favorite island in the British and US Islands. Go to St. John and arrange for excursions to the other islands if your not lucky enough to do it by boat. Also try to go to Jost Van Dyke and eat the BBQ at Foxys. Reservations ahead of time. Also the bitter end resort on Virgin Gorda is fun, but it sounds a little pricey for you.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:02 AM

I have stayed on St Lucia and all the US and BVIs. We stayed at Windjammer Landing- it was fun, but not easy getting around. We took the bus to the North end of the island a couple times, took a boat trip down to the Pitons. The crime rate has increased there over the last few years. I liked it, but wouldn't go back. I love St John, but like Tortola better. We stayed at Long Bay, which was VERY quiet. Rent a jeep.So much fun going to Cane Garden Bay for a little nightlife- all island music drifting over the still waters. Bomba Shack for drunkfest..LOL Take ferries to VGorda and definitely see Jost and Anegada by plane. traveltalkonline.com has lots of info and trip reports about the BVI. Great hiking up the mountain to Skyworld, great snorkeling with the Patouche (Joe and Julie are great)Plus, the people on Tortola were lovely. We picked up hitchikers or offered rides to many- you feel totally safe there.There weren't a lot of cruise ship passengers, either.