Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St Lucia - Rodney Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-lucia-rodney-bay-864490/)

MaryF1967 Oct 27th, 2010 04:07 AM

St Lucia - Rodney Bay

I just read a review at tripadvisor and two people talked about what a dump Rodney Bay is. Rats....and garbage all around.
Anyone been there recently that can give me feedback? We are thinking of staying at Sun West Villa which is in the Rodney Bay area - so those posts concern me. Anyone familiar??

dymo Oct 27th, 2010 05:11 AM

We were there last year and have to say that we realy enjoyed it did not see anything like that

sassy_cat Oct 27th, 2010 05:13 AM

Mary,
Welcome to Fodors!
Did you read hundreds of positive reviews too?

Tripadvisor probably has the most up to date information on St. Lucia so you should ask your question there but be prepared for some mixed feedback.

I don't know if you're an experienced traveler or if you've never been to the Caribbean before but I hope this helps you make an informed decision.
St. Lucia is a Caribbean island and does not have the same infrastructure as the US. Yes, you might see garbage in the street but generally not 'all around' unless a trash can gets knocked over accidentally.
Locals put their garbage in trash cans on the street because storing garbage indoors, especially without ac is far from pleasant in the Tropics. It is usually collected weekly.
The towns and tourist areas are well maintained.

It's a tough call but if one negative review on Tripadvisor concerns you then maybe you shouldn't go to St. Lucia.

MaryF1967 Oct 27th, 2010 01:16 PM

Sassy_cat,
We have been to the Carribean before - although not St. Lucia. We have visited other islands...St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Barts. Although it was many years ago (pre-kids) and I would not consider myself an experienced traveler.
I have read mostly positvie reviews and figured those reviews were a bit ridiculous - but wanted to find someone who had been there recently who could share info.
Thanks for your help.

sassy_cat Oct 27th, 2010 03:35 PM

Mary,
I did take a look at Sun West villas. On the website it describes the location as Rodney Bay area but the photos show it is up in the hills (not on the beach). Do you have any further details? The website mentioned free shuttles to Reduit beach.
I'm curious to know why you picked this accommodation. I'd want a rental car if I was staying there as it doesn't appear to be that close to Rodney Bay and definitely not within walking distance.

St. Lucia is a very beautiful island. I hope you have a great trip!

BellaClaire Oct 27th, 2010 04:14 PM

I did not like Rodney Bay...not the beach..restaurants were good - I only stayed there one night.....this was about 3 years ago.

bdshotsauce Oct 29th, 2010 06:18 AM

I stayed in Rodney Bay at the Bay Garden Inn approximately 4 years ago, then the surroundings were very clean and convenient with good places to eat, nice night life and the beach right around the corner, also easy access to town via bus and taxi can easily be found in the area.

Surrinder Oct 30th, 2010 03:22 PM

Hi We lived in St Lucia for four years and can honestly say the comments about it being a dump are very unfair - maybe someone had a bad experience one day.

Rats are every where in the world but they don't run wild - I have seen them in New York, London to mention two places.

St Lucia is not a developed country - its a great place and offers something for everyone.

I cannot comment on the villa as I do not know where it is - sounds like a rather bad description with regard to its location.

Pretty sure you will enjoy the island - check out the Friday night Jump Up in the village of Gros Islet - its on Friday nights and where all the locals let their hair down.