St. Lucia/Rendevous

Jul 12th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

St. Lucia/Rendevous

I notice no one talks about the Rendevous as a "great place to stay". We will be celebrating an anniversary, so I want something lovely, with good food. Is this not a good place for that?
Jul 12th, 2004, 07:54 AM

It has been more than 10 years since we stayed there, but I doubt that the beach would have changed much - small and steep and undistinguished. The food was pretty good, but overall, I did not think the resort was worth the money. (It was Couples when we stayed there, and is now Rendevous.)

There are so many other nicer places to stay on St Lucia - Ladera, Anse CHastanet, Jalousie Hilton - that I would never consider staying there again.
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Hi There,

A couple of years ago we booked a week at Rendezvous. When we arrived at the airport we were met by the people from the resort who advised us that they had overbooked so we were being taken to the sister resort of LeSport instead. We spent the first day at LeSport. The beach was very small and the other guests did not appear to be very outgoing.

The rooms were nice, tastefully decorated and clean. The food was also acceptable. Very average, but there was a lot of it. We spent the bulk of the first day relaxing both on the beach and in our room. The view was very nice, as with most of the island, it was very green and beautiful. We were very hungry after the trip and the long drive from the airport and asked about getting something to eat?..we were told it was too late for lunch and too early for dinner. There was no attempt to accommodate us.

On the morning of the second day we were told to get our things packed and go to the resort office. Once there we were again told things were not ready for us. After about a two-hour wait?.we finally were put into a van and taken over to Rendezvous. Once we got settled things rapidly improved. The manager of Rendezvous gave us a handful of St. Lucia T-shirts as complimentary gift?..then she arranged for us to be served some food. Overall the people at Rendezvous were much more accommodating.

The resort is beautiful. The grounds like most of the island are green and lush. The rooms we were in faced out onto an open green area surrounded with flowering shrubs. We could see the beach from our porch.

The beach was OK..nothing special and definitely not as nice as the beaches on many other Caribbean islands. The snorkeling was not very good right off the beach at Rendezvous. However, the resort offers a boat trip around the side of the island over to Marigot and near Anse Chastenet?.and although this area is much better for snorkeling that the north side of the island, it still isn't anything like that you will find on a lot of other islands. (Even though this part of the island is constantly being listed as one of the 10 best snorkeling sites in the Caribbean.) I didn't think it came close to the Caymans, the BVI, or even USVI for that matter.

The staff at Rendezvous was very friendly and was most accommodating for almost any requests. They put on a kind of talent show one evening during the week that was pretty outrageous.

The food at the resort was plentiful?..you surely won't go hungry; however, it looked a whole lot better than it tasted. Not that anything was wrong with it?just that it all tasted pretty much the same. The staff even joked about it and carried tiny bottles of Tabasco sauce with them all the time. They gave these out to guests by the handful to spice up the food. Small tables were also at a premium in the eating areas?..maybe to encourage you to make friends with other guests, but I didn't care for that on cruise ships and I don't care for it in resorts either.

The other guests were interesting. Primarily Brits and Canadians with a handful of Europeans and a couple of Australians thrown in. It was definitely a different mix (less from the U.S.) than most of the other islands I had been to. While we were there we saw two couples who were married at the resort. This was done very tastefully and both couples indicated that they were very, very pleased with the way things were handled. The photographer was very good at using the resort's great settings as backdrops for the wedding pictures.

The resort offers a lot of things to do?almost anything you can imagine in the way of watersports is there?plus volleyball?.a small gym with workout equipment?and that's before you get into any of the tours, etc. of the island itself. We rented a car for the week like we do on all the islands we go to and had a great time exploring the island. We used to shuttle some of the other guests from the resort into town or back if we saw them while we were out and about.

The pool has a swim-up bar that was always a popular spot and there is a small pub type piano bar that was also very popular in the evenings.

I'm sure you'll have a great time if you decide to go to Rendezvous.

Schultz
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Wow. Actually, it sounds like the exact same experience we had there 12 years ago.

Libby, I've traveled all over the Caribbean since that first St Lucia trip in 1992, and I would suggest somewhere else if you are looking for good food. (Especially after what Schultz posted.)

We have also stayed at Anse Chastanet and the Hilton, and the food at AC was VERY good.

Search this Thread