Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. Lucia - Recent Crime/Rape (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-lucia-recent-crime-rape-91552/)

Rachel Oct 26th, 2000 09:18 AM

St. Lucia - Recent Crime/Rape

What is your opinion of the recent brutal attack on the 24 year old from England and her companion? I think it is the most horrifying events and my heart goes out to them and their families. But, what should we do...potential tourists? Should we go and not tour the beautiful island? I couldn't get much direction from the Tourist Board. As they have confirmed that crime has happened before and that worries me. My trip is planned after Thanksgiving. Just hopping to get some opinions from others. I do realize that tragic crimes happen all over the world....but I personal don't look for it.

Kay Oct 26th, 2000 09:50 AM

It was very sad what happened to the couple on their honeymoon. But, crime happens in every country on the planet. What one must do while at home and while traveling is keep thier eyes open, use common sense. My husband and I spent our honeymoon in St. Lucia in June and could not have had a better time. It was womderful. WE too rented jeep as this unfortunate couple did but we did not drive anywhere deserted and kept our valuables in the safe at the hotel. We used our common sense just as we do at home. We found our experience wonderful and can't wait to go back. It would be sad to punish the whole island and its people for the acts of a few. <BR> <BR>But if you really would feel uncomfortable in going to St. Lucia the islands in the Caribbean that have the highest standard of living and the lowest crime rate would probably be Cayman, Aruba, BVI and St. John. <BR> <BR>

Rachel Oct 26th, 2000 11:04 AM

I'm aware of the honeymooning incident, but this is a recent happening that occured less than 2 weeks ago. The girl was left for dead and has been blinded in 1 eye and last heard the doctors were trying to save the other. Have you not heard of this recent attack? I've been to St. Lucia and loved every minute also, I'm just wandering if upcoming tourists plan on altering their sightseeing plans.

lisa Oct 26th, 2000 12:34 PM

I read a news article about it on one of the St. Lucia news websites. You are right, it is absolutely horrifying. But two people are already in custody. I would just keep in mind how rare incidents like this are, and I would also point out that the two victims (both of whom were residents) were not in a major tourist area or resort when this happened; they were off by themselves in a more remote area. If I had a trip to St. Lucia coming up, I would definitely still go because it is a marvelous, gorgeous, wonderful place and you are probably safer there than you are in the U.S. However, just to be cautious, I'm not sure I would go off to one of the more remote parts of the island unless I was in a small group or accompanied by a local guide who knows the area well.

joan Oct 26th, 2000 01:27 PM

Also, DO NOT pick up hitchhikers. Last summer we picked up a man at Anse Malgretoute (beach near the Jalousie Hilton) who asked for a ride into Soufriere. Although our rental villa was in the other direction, we knew it wouldn't take us more than ten extra minutes. He ended up directing us "the back way" which was a big long circle around Soufriere. He then demanded a tip for his "guide services". We ejected him from the car after finally giving him $20 EC. My husband was furious. By the way, we were forewarned in the booklet supplied by our villa rental agency... I guess I should be glad that's all that happened. In any event, I would go back to St. Lucia in a heartbeat. Gorgeous country, stupid tourists (us)! I wouldn't dream of picking up a hitchhiker in my home state of Florida.

opinion Oct 26th, 2000 01:58 PM

Tour the island --in the first place to drive on that island is crazy.,the roads are hairpin turns,at night it is so dark and lonely, I cannot image how treacherous they can be when it rains.So,go by taxi for tours etc. Use water taxis to get from the north to south and taxis to the falls,volcano,etc. We were there 5 years ago and I had read about the drug problem. So it always pays to be street smart anywhere!