St. Lucia or Dominican Republic in December?

Oct 31st, 2003, 04:15 AM
cdo
Original Poster

St. Lucia or Dominican Republic in December?

My husband and I are planning a trip for mid-December. We're trying to decide between St. Lucia and Dominican Republic.

After checking weather reports for St. Lucia, I've become concerned about rain, especially near Soufriere (we were thinking of staying at Anse Chastanet). If we go to St. Lucia, would we be better off at the Windjammer Hotel in the North? Or, would you recommend going to Dominican Republic (Cabarete vicinity) instead?

Thanks for any advice!
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:22 AM
cdo
Original Poster

One more question: I just read, in another posting, about the mosquito/bug situation at Anse Chastanet. My husband and I are thinking of staying there in mid-December, but I am very sensitive to mosquitoes. Are there alot of them at this time of year?

Thanks,
Oct 31st, 2003, 06:46 AM

St. Lucia is VERY rainy in December. We spent a lot of time picking up our books and running for cover. I also came home with a lot of bug bites. Haven't been to DR. It is the one place my husband refuses to go to, but I have friends who have been and loved it.
Oct 31st, 2003, 10:20 AM
cdo
Original Poster

Thanks so much for telling me! I was leaning toward St. Lucia, but definitely don't want it if it's raining.

We are hearing wonderful things from both my brother/his wife and another friend about Dominican Republic. I checked climate and it has very little rain in December.
Nov 1st, 2003, 04:38 AM

DR is great...if you're looking for great beaches stay to the south(La Romana or Punta Cana) Puerto Plata does not offer great beaches. I stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada in Puerto Plata. Great resort but lacked a great beach
Nov 1st, 2003, 05:55 AM

Have you considered Aruba as your hubby does not like the DR? Rain will not be a problem!