Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. Lucia Help! Logistics... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-lucia-help-logistics-555835/)

beachkomer Sep 1st, 2005 10:35 AM

St. Lucia Help! Logistics...

I got one of those cheap $2 per night Easy Cruise deals (Travel Zoo!)and will be flying to St. Lucia on November 30 arriving at 8pm. My cruise leaves from St. Lucia at midnight on Friday, Dec. 2. So I have two full days to see St. Lucia.

I want to see the Pitons and that Soufr. area. I was thinking of staying at a hotel in the Castries area on Wed PM. (since I get in "late") and maybe spend the night in that other area on Thursday night and travel back up to the Castries area Friday afternoon to check in on the boat.

OR, should I just stay in the Catries and take a boat tour on Thurday down to see the pitons?

Not sure how long it takes to get anywhere!!

Any advice will be welcome. I am trying to maximize my time, since I probably won't go back for a while.

thanks in advance!

brenandg Sep 1st, 2005 05:51 PM

Given the amount of time that you have, I would recommend staying in the Castries area and taking a day trip to the Soufriere area. Recommend either taking a land and sea tour or else hiring a taxi for the day for your own customized tour of the island. They know all of the spots to take you.

I would not bother dragging all of your stuff to stay the night in Soufriere. Why bother ruining part of your day worrying about having to check into another hotel only to leave the next morning anyway? I believe there really isn't much to see or do in Soufriere at night anyway. When there is a longer time period involved, some people opt to stay at both ends of the island for their diversity.

BTW, the actual drive from Castries to Soufriere is about 1.5 hours give or take a few. We hired a taxi with another couple and made many stops on the way, but on the way back we drove pretty much non stop and it is also more downhill. Get ready for some steep, winding roads. We love St Lucia:)

beachkomer Sep 1st, 2005 06:36 PM

yeah, that was what I was wanting to hear! Check in and out of one hotel. Take a day trip to see the southern part. Thanks for confirming my instincts!

:)

sailor Sep 1st, 2005 10:04 PM

If the Pitons and Soufriere area are what you want to experience in St.Lucia. I would highly, highly recommend staying a least one night and full day in this area, if not both nights.

Spending an afternoon/day on the beach between the Pitons on Jalousie Bay, and a visit to Anse Chastenets exotic beaches, and then having snorkeling/diving, rain forest, waterfalls,thermel mineral baths, hiking, etc., right at your door step. Once you get to this area, you'll find yourself, not wanting to head back to Castries, until you have to leave for sure!

I don't know ... to me, it would be like going to see the Grande Canyon, and staying some hour + away, only to spend a short time driving by the sights on bus. :-(

Enjoy this area with the maximum possible time allowed, you won't regret it!

beachkomer Sep 2nd, 2005 04:14 AM

good points Sailor....Do you think that there is transportation down there at 9pm at night? And would this be wise? Is it safe driving on these roads at night? Maybe I should spend the first night in the Castries.

The whole reason I added a few days on the front part of the cruise was to see the pitons. I will continue to research logistics...

sailor Sep 2nd, 2005 06:55 AM

There would be no problem getting transportation down to Soufriere at night. It wouldn't be a bad idea to prearrange. You can contact a tour operator like Barefootholidays and arrange both pickup at airport and your post drop-off at the cruise ship. This would give you an idea of the cost of transportation. Taxi cost from Castries to Soufriere, is in the $80 range one way, with a bit added if you intend on some private touring stops along the way.

If you are on a budget, it could be cost/time effective to spend the first night in Castries at a lower cost hotel, and then head on down to the Soufriere area in the morning doing your touring of sights (Castries market, Marigot Bay, waterfalls/rainforest etc., ??. on your way down (all can be prearranged), check in at most hotels is in the 3:00pm range, though, I wouldn't hesitate to arrive early, to enjoy the view and take a rest on the beach before sundown. Sundown in St.Lucia is between 5:30 and 6:30 year round.

beachkomer Sep 2nd, 2005 07:09 AM

I think I would like to travel during the day, so that I could see the island. I will look into that tour company for a lift down south on Thursday.

Thanks for everyone's help!

beachkomer Sep 2nd, 2005 12:05 PM

I think I am going to stay in the Castries both nights and do a full day tour down to the Soufriere area: maybe a combo Land and sea tour. I've looked at a few online and they are about $85-$120. I could get back to my hotel in time for a sunset dinner and then spend Friday morning at the beach near the Castries and maybe some shopping. I need to check in on the ship that afternoon, then it won't leave until midnight.

It will be fun!

This trip will give me a taste of the different islands for a extended trip next time. I can't wait!

brenandg Sep 2nd, 2005 04:08 PM

Try looking at the Rodney Bay area for your room. We did not stay there, but from what I know, it is walking distance some restaurants and local bars. Might be convenient especially for the night of your arrival. I can't recommend any particular hotel but I'm sure you could find something in the moderate range.

If you want to do a little shopping,check out the Castries Market. There are also some duty free shops nearby as well. Cabs are quite plentiful.

If you venture out for dinner, The Coal Pot is excellent! They also serve lunch. Have also heard good things about Spinakers (on the beach) and my menory lapses, but it is either the Charthouse or Charter House.

By the way, you are landing at the small airport in Castries, right?

beachkomer Sep 3rd, 2005 01:41 PM

This is what I booked:
Coco Palm, Rodney Bay
http://www.changes.com/resorts/coco-palm/

I don't think it's opened yet, but looks really nice. Booked on orbitz.

Yes, the airport is the small one.

I will be traveling alone and was kind of nervous about wandering the streets looking for a restaurant. I was wanting to go to the Friday night "jump up" but again, I will be alone. Is it safe? I am a cautious person, and use common sense.

I have read of those restaurants.
I need to make a list!