Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. Lucia crime (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-lucia-crime-646587/)

caf Sep 14th, 2006 12:31 PM

St. Lucia crime

Just saw this story about a 16 y.o. girl gang-raped in St. Lucia:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1879
It's a crime from the past, but a little further research on the web confirms that St. Lucia, like some other Caribbean islands, is experiencing some real crime problems. This is mentioned in the State Dept's report on St. Lucia, as well.
I've been to St. Lucia in the past and enjoyed it, so my point in posting this is to spur the responsible authorities to get tough on crime, and make St. Lucia a safe paradise.

MIM04 Sep 14th, 2006 02:59 PM

It is true. The crime has gotten much worse there. It is unfortunate. :(

beachdreams3 Sep 14th, 2006 04:31 PM

I'm going to St. Lucia this winter, so I am interested in knowing about the situation, both the good and the bad. I read the article and wanted to provide some context to others. According to the article, this crime happened at least 11 years ago and was not reported to the authorities in St. Lucia. I've read other accounts of more recent crimes and the limited government/police responses, so I understand there is a real issue. But I'm having a hard time seeing how a crime that occurred that long ago and was not reported is relevant to the current situation.

Tuxedocat Sep 14th, 2006 07:12 PM

I agree with beachdreams3. 10 year old crime is not something you can gage anything by. Unfortunately, it does seem that crime is on the rise throughout the Caribbean. Some of it a slowly rising crest, and in other places, just the odd rash every now and then. I think it is very good to talk about current crime stats because it does get the attention of the authorities if people are vocal enough about it. Most of these Caribbean islands rely heavily on tourism for their economy, so if the customer or potential customers aren't happy, it makes them take notice. Sad, crude, but true.

caf Sep 15th, 2006 02:46 AM

As I pointed out in my original post, the crime reported is indeed old (the victim's telling of it is new, however). This report just led me to do a little more research, and what I found was not good--an increasing murder rate, gang slayings, an assasination attempt on an archbishop...
Seems like a lot of crime going on for what was not so long ago a place fairly free of serious crime.

By the way, I don't mean to slam St.Lucia alone, I think what's happening there is happening on many islands. As someone who has been travelling to the Caribbean for many years, there has certainly been a change. I remember the headline of the weekly newspaper in St. Maarten 25 years ago--the story was about a fistfight in a bar. Probably wouldn't make the back pages now.

Santa Sep 15th, 2006 04:01 AM

The local paper will give you the pulse on many issues.

http://www.stluciastar.com/

doug_stallings Sep 15th, 2006 06:34 AM

I'm afraid that if you want any island in the Caribbean "made" into a "safe paradise" you're going to be sorely disappointed. The Caribbean is a part of the real world, and crime and drugs are a constant battle on many Caribbean islands---certainly much more so than they were in the 1950s and 60s.

I still think that the vast majority of the Caribbean (and this certainly extends to much of Jamaica and the Dominican Republic) is still much safer than most major metropolitan areas in the U.S. But you can't land on one of these islands and then pay no attention to your personal safety and security.

I believe that the St. Lucia authorities take crime seriously, as do authorities on all islands. But the idea that any of these places could be some antiseptic Disneyland is kind of far-fetched, in my opinion. But that doesn't mean you can't have a wonderful and safe vacation on almost any island in the Caribbean if you travel with your eyes open.

girlonthego Sep 15th, 2006 05:00 PM

When I first read this post, I had just read about an 11 year old girl being gang raped in Minnesota. So it happens everywhere.

I read the article and find it very sad. I am sure this happens more often in society in general. I know Natalie Holloway thought she was in paradise in Aruba and let her guard down as well.

Like the above posters all say, crime is happening more and more everywhere in the caribbean (even in safe places like Bermuda). I actually chose Aruba based on it's safety.(This was the year before the Holloway crime). I know many crimes go unreported too. I did not feel unsafe in Aruba and would visit there again.

I think more young people are targeted because of their devil may care attitude and the fact that they stay out later at night. Just remember to be aware of your surroundings and don't wander around solo especially late at night.

caf Sep 15th, 2006 05:20 PM

Doug,
I don't have a "Disneyland" view of the world; I travel extensively in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

On the other hand, I don't think we just have to accept that crime in the Caribbean and elsewhere is inevitably going to get worse, and try to do nothing to encourage change. If Caribbean islands get the message that crime will hurt the very important industry of tourism, then they will be strongly motivated to be pro-active.

I often think of NYC, where I feel much safer now on the streets and in Central Park than I did 20 years ago. Much as I love much of the Caribbean, I refuse to be an apologist for this downturn.

By the way, there ARE still places in the Caribbean that are very safe compared to St. Lucia, St. Thomas, or Trinidad and Tobago. Whether they can maintain that edge is uncertain.

Santa Sep 16th, 2006 04:02 PM

A few years ago the cruise ships, or a cruise ship line pulled out of St Thomas or ST Croix for awhile as a result in an increase in crime.
Perhaps it was crime against actual passengers, I don't know.........
But, Island Governments listen to the cruise industry carefully. IMO.
Research before you go.
No place will be perfect, but there are places that you can choose not to vacation.
The troubling feeling for me is, based on reading alot of local papers, is that there are far mor stories on violent crime happening than there is on arrests and convictions of violent crime perps.
I might add that the overwhelming victims of crime that I have read about in the Caribbean is National against National.
It will have a real impact on an Islands economy when it starts to involve tourists.
IMO

StLuciaLover Oct 5th, 2006 08:37 AM

I am a frequent visitor to the island and it is sad to see the crime which is happening. TRUST NO ONE. They will mostly tell you what they think you want to hear. It is the best advise I can offer. Having been the victim of a recent crime there, it is sad to truly know it does exist. I will go back but will be much more careful. Do be vigilant at all times.

Barbara1 Oct 5th, 2006 10:01 AM

Do you really think the St. Lucian authorities read the travel message boards? and that your post about an old crime will encourage them to get tough?
I am sorry but INMHO, posts like this only stir up trouble.
The entire Caribbean, as Doug said, has issues with crime and each island is truly concerned.
I am sure the autholrities in St. Lucia are doing their best. If you are truly concerned, then pick another island. But to post about "old crimes" as horrendous as they may be, is only stirring up the hornet's nest. Yes, crime should be reported factually. It should not be covered up, but neither should it be exaggerated as I have seen time and time again on travel boards.
We who live on the islands get sick of it, quite frankly.