St Lucia & Pirates of the Carribean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were in St. Lucia about a year and a half ago (made a port call while on a cruise). I did a land/snorkel tour and on this tour, we sailed past an area that the tour guide claimed that part of the film "Pirates of The Carribean was filmed. She also stated that one of the replica pirate ships that is used for tours is one used in the film.

We just watched the film and I've done subsequent searches about the filming location and everything that I find states that the film was filmed in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM

I thought alot of it was shot in the Bahamas. I know that some parts of Grand Bahama were used as well as the ship being in port there as well.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:49 AM

A good portion of the first POTC was shot on St. Vincent. The movie set is directly on the Leeward coast north of Kingstown. The waterfront portrayed in the movie looks quite authentic but when you get up close it is easy to see how they make everything appear so real. Tour operators will take you on day trips via speedboat. It can also be reached by car. Interesting trip.

As far as St. Lucia being involved I couldn't answer. If so it wasn't publicized like St. Vincent. Check the movie credits next time you watch the movie. Dominica is the island where much of POTC Dead Man's Chest sequel was filmed.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:54 AM

I know that at least a large portion of the film was made in st vincent, including bequia. but when i was in gros-islet november '05 the pirate ship they used in the film sailed by carrying tourists nearly every day. and a friend i made out there said she saw them filming there, so some of it must've been film there at some point.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:09 AM

They were filming the second one in Dominica when I was there. They used many locations.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:18 AM

Tobago Cays in St. Vincent and the Grenadines where used, as well as Dominica for the first one.
The second and third ones, which were done back to back, they used primarily the Bahamas, in particular, Grand Bahama and Exumas. The ship was left in Grand Bahama.
If you google it, especially with pictures of production, you'll see tons of the ship in Grand Bahama.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes I did google it as well as checked out the movie website. I saw that everything indicated that it was filmed in the St. Vincent area.

I was just confused because the tour guide specifically mentioned part of the movie being filmed in and around St. Lucia and I couldn't find anything about this.

Thanks for your quick responses.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM

Much of the film was done in St. Vincent and the actors stayed at Young Island Resort.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 05:24 PM

I recently came back from St. Lucia and the Piton Mountains were featured in the first film. Also, the part of the movie where the dead pirates are hanging under the cliff and Jack takes his hat off and places it over his chest was filmed in St. Lucia. There may be more but I know these two locations were definately featured in the film.