St. Lucia Airports

Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

St. Lucia Airports

Which airport would you recommend flying into in St. Lucia?
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM

The only one that could be called an airport is the one on the south end of the island. The "airport" near Castries is just a runway next to the road, with a small building or two along it.

Assuming you're staying around Rodney Bay or Castries someplace, the ride from the south is not a problem - unless you're one of these people who go to a Caribbean island and expect amenities to look like Boston! The road in this case goes over a mountain ridge and a rain forest that are straight out of a Tarzan movie. The ferns in the rain forest are the size of Volkswagens... you get to see several towns and a pretty good cross section of life in the real St. Lucia. Last time we were there, we were lucky enough to be the only people in the van going back to the airport and our driver took us further yet off the beaten track and showed us around some of the villages. It was a great end to the vacation.

If you fly into the northern airstrip - can't recall the names, its been two years - you have maybe a ten or fifteen minute ride to most of the resorts around there, certainly all three Sandals. Nothing wrong with that either, I'd just hate to miss the trip through the jungle.

Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:16 PM

The airport in Castries (SLU) is called George F Charles. Although it depends a little on where you stay, I would go with whichever airport has the best flights for you. To land at SLU involves a connection to a smaller plane, often connecting in San Juan. Where are you staying??
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

We plan on staying at the Sandals Regency. Are either of the airports cheaper to fly into?
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
KVR

We stayed at the Sandals Grande and flew AA Eagle from San Juan into the smaller Castries airport. It was a 20 min. taxi ride to the resort.

If you fly into the larger airport your looking at approx. an hour transfer to the Regency. After a 12 hour day and 4 airports to get to St. Lucia, we were glad we flew into Castries.
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

I can imagine, wow! Actually, we'd be flying in from Atlanta, so that wouldn't be an issue, but I like the idea of a 15 minute ride to the resort. Thanks