Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. Lucia Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-lucia-advice-60877/)

Juli Jan 26th, 2000 06:37 AM

St. Lucia Advice

I am staying at Ladera(Soufriere) in April and I had a few questions. <BR> What is the best deluxe suite? <BR> Should I rent a car? <BR> Anyone ever drive to Castries at night? <BR> Anyone take a hopper to Barbados? <BR> Is there horse back riding in the South? <BR> What about surfing? <BR> Help!!! <BR> Any info would be greatly appreciated! <BR> <BR> Thanks <BR>

C.Clark Jan 26th, 2000 11:01 AM

Hi Juli, I can help out with a few of your questions. We rented a car when we were there and were glad that we did,also drive around the island the roads are okay even if they tell you they aren't. We did drive from Soufriere <BR>to Castries at night as that was where we were staying and never had a problem. <BR>We also flew using Liat to several islands, one of them being Barbados. <BR>

juli Jan 27th, 2000 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info but I have a couple more questions. When did you purchase your plane tickets? Was it in advance? Did Liat depart from Castries? Where did you stay in the South? If it was Ladera do you have any room suggestions or advice. <BR> <BR>Thanks,, <BR> <BR>Juli

C.Clark Jan 28th, 2000 09:24 AM

Hi Juli, we purchased our plane tickets before we left. We got three islands for $199. I'll give you a toll free number for Liat 800-981-8585. They offer different packages to other islands as well, but it's cheaper if you do it yourself. We found budget to be the cheapest car rental. <BR>We stayed at Candyo Inn in Rodney Bay and it was really nice. Also there's a great restaurant about a one minute walk from the Candyo Inn called Capone's. <BR>They have airports at both ends of the island, but yes we did leave from Castries. <BR>If you have time I would suggest you check out Dominica, it's between Guadeloupe and Martinique and is truly beautiful. And the people there are incredible as well. <BR>

Juli Jan 28th, 2000 10:08 AM

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Alexandra Jan 28th, 2000 11:35 AM

I'm also planning a trip to St. Lucia and the Ladera Resort is where we'd like to stay-- and in April, too[!] Will let you know if I hear anything about the hotel-- I read one travelogue that gave it a great recommendation. Also, across the board travel books recommend its views above (literally) all others.

Juli Jan 28th, 2000 12:33 PM

Alexandra, <BR> <BR>I've only heard wonderful things. The only negative I've heard is that it's a little low on light at night. I figure all the more reason to light candles!!! We're going the week of April 8-15. What about you? Check out some of the old posts on this site. There are some folks that have been there and give some details!!! <BR> <BR>

Tara Feb 24th, 2000 09:28 AM

Juli, <BR>My fiance and I (husband by that time) are also staying at Ladera the week of April 17-24. I'm wondering if anyone else will be at Ladera during that timeframe -- maybe get together for dinner or something -- or at least say "hi."

Kay Feb 25th, 2000 09:50 AM

Hi <BR> <BR>I will be spening my honeymoon at Ladera June 18-23 and ahve requested the deluxe suite S as Brides Magazine siad that is the most romantic of the suites. I can't wait. We have not decided if we want to mess with renting a car or nto yet.