Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. Kitts Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-kitts-trip-report-302475/)

Larz Feb 11th, 2008 07:56 AM

St. Kitts Trip Report

Hello Fellow Fodorites,
My wife and I just returned from a great week in St. Kitts, and I thank you all once again for your input. Here's what we did;
Stayed at the Timothy Beach Resort, which was in an excellent location right on the beach, walking distance to the beach bars/restaurants, and only about a 20 minute walk to the Marriott and the Atlantic ocean, and several other nice restaurants. Night time was festive, with live reggae and steel band music. In addition to swimming, snorkeling and relaxing on the beach, we visited the capital of Basseterre. On another day we rented a car(Avis)and visited Romney Manor and Gardens, Caribelle Batik factory, the few sugar works ruins on the Wingfield Estate, and the Brimstone Hill Fortress. We also drove along part of the beautiful eastern penninsula area, in search of the turn-off for White House Bay(we never found it that day, and the total lack of signs didn't help!)We did however, see quite a few goats, cows and vervet monkeys along the road. Some of them appeared to be just hanging out, admiring the incredible views - as we were.
I went scuba diving(Coconut Tree Reef and the wreck of the River Taw), which was excellent. (I held off on telling my wife about the Nurse Shark we saw, until later in the day.) On another morning, we took a snorkeling tour out to White House Bay, and saw an old tugboat wreck and 5 cannons from the 1700's. The tour also included a stop at Ballast Bay reef. On another day, we hiked through the rainforest with Greg's Safaris. Our final day was spent on Nevis, and in addition to walking around Charlestown and along Pinney's beach, we arranged a hike into the woodlands of the Mt. Lilly area, to explore several ruins from the 1600's. An added treat(to some members of our group, anyway)was a brief entry into a bat cave. We had a great time, and welcome any and all questions - whilst the trip is still fresh in my mind.
Larz

Nevisian Feb 11th, 2008 08:44 AM

Now you have to return for more. ... glad you had a good time.

cw Feb 11th, 2008 11:14 AM

Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time.

Who did you hike with on Nevis, and what company did you go snorkeling with on St. Kitts?

Thanks.

CW

ejcrowe Feb 11th, 2008 05:37 PM

I enjoyed reading your trip report. I'd certainly like knowing more about the restaurants you tried, if you're so inclined to share more info.

Larz Feb 12th, 2008 04:40 AM

On Nevis, we hiked with a fellow named Jim Johnson, who runs walknevis.com. He is extremely knowledgable and offers a variety of hikes. For the snorkeling(2 1/2 hours, $45 each), we used St. Kitts Water Safaris. There were 2 or 3 other places on the beach that ran such trips, but they needed at least 4 people to go out, which they had trouble getting. St. Kitts Water Safaris was OK with taking just the 2 of us out. As far as eating, we kept it fairly simple. On the beach, we tried Mr. X.'s Shiggidy Shack(who doesn't?!), Oasis Bar and Grill, and Sunset Cafe. Closer to the Marriott, we visited PJ's and Ciao's, for Italian food. The Timothy Beach also had a West Indian Buffet night which was good.

SKBFAN1 Feb 12th, 2008 10:40 AM

Glad you enjoyed your stay in St. Kitts.

You should post your review on our friendly forum at www.myislands.myeyez.net

Your feedback is helpful to a lot of tourists that are going down in the next few weeks.

BTW, I also loved staying at Timothy Beach Resort and eating at The Shiggidy Shack. :)

SKBFAN1 Feb 12th, 2008 10:41 AM

In St. Kitts do you mean Blue Water Safaris?

Larz Feb 15th, 2008 02:50 PM

For snorkeling, we went with St. Kitts Water Safaris. They were in the process of adding a new kayak/snorkel tour as well. I think Blue Water Safaris also did a snorkeling tour, as well as sunset and dinner cruises. But their schedule didn't fit our's.

SKBFAN1 Feb 16th, 2008 01:48 PM

I've never heard of St. Kitts Water Safaris. Do you have a website for them or phone number? Where did you find them?