St. Thomas Restaurants & Attractions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, this is probably one of my last posts before the big trip to the Ritz on St. Thomas (a week & a half to go!). =) While I've searched the forums thoroughly, I haven't quite gotten the full picture of St. Thomas' dining & attractions scene. So here it goes..

*I'd really appreciate some great recommendations for St. Thomas restauants. Please incluse the atmosphere, appropriate attire & type of cuisine (if possible). If you happen to know how far the restaurant is from the Ritz, please include that as well.

*Is the Ritz close to any restaurants, shops or other places to sightsee? Anything that is within walking distance?

*If there are any "must see/must do" places to visit while on St. Thomas, what would you recommend? I'm completely open to any suggestions.. from touristy spots, great stores to specific beaches, I'd love to hear about them.

Thank you so much in advance. =)
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM

hi, you can't really walk to anywhere . where you go will depend alot on whether you will have a car, taxis will of course be available.
restaurants: tony romano's italian on the road to coki beach/coral world. it was a few years ago so i can't recall the menu but i know i enjoyed it. the owner hangs a few of his own paintings. island dressy.15 mins. just down the street from ritz is secret harbour with blue moon cafe. casual but pleasant atmosphere right on the beach, nice food, a sun dress will do here. shorts if you go for lunch. my favorite on island is havana blue at the marriott. this link will give you all the info you could want: http://www.onepaper.com/stthomasvi/?...p;p=1105682272
the ritz is on the east end of st. thomas about 45 min drive from charlotte amalie where all the shopping is. just before you get into town is the havensight mall. and on the east end char am is a vendors market that is fun and bright. find out from your front desk which day ships will not be in port and shop then. town is Lots less crowded and smaller shop keepers more inclined to deal on high end products (on oh say jewelry or doubloons) - wander through the area and don't miss the shops on the backstreet. do this in the daytime.
sightseeing: drakes seat is a nice view but the seat is just that - a bench. www.coralworldvi.com is kind of interesting. you can feed turtles or rays or try snuba or a variety of underwater things. secret harbor has good snorkeling off the right side of the beach. magens bay beach on the north side is very beautiful- again a no cruise ship day place or go early in the am. across from havensight is a tram. the view is great of the harbor at sunset with a fruity cocktail.
excursions: the lady lindsey comes with your hotel. an older yacht, very stately. i'd book on that as soon as you get there or now. at havensight there is a company (i think waterworld) that has a large cat called the castaway girl. they always have a fun crew. snorkel stops and fruity cocktails.
ritz is close to red hook ferry to st. john or asst. other islands to explore or snorkel.
well there's a start...
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:21 AM

My wife and I just returned from our fifth trip to STT May 27, so here is my two cents:
We discoved a great restaurant at the Elysian Resort called "Roberts". Great food, right on the beach at Cowpet Bay. Service was outstanding and the dress is casual.The Elysian is down the same road as Secret Harbor, but it splits off toward Cowpet Bay.
The best beach for snorkeling is Coki Beach, right next to Coral World. The fish are so used to people feeding them that you can stand in 3 feet of water and they will surround you!Stay clear of Coki and Megans bay when the ships are in. They are very popular with the cruisers.
One word of caution regarding Secret Harbor; the iguanas are very aggresive. I actually had one jump on my side while I was lying on a lounge chair. Apparently, he was after my red Coke can. They are attracted to the color red so watch those painted toenails!!
If you like daysails, I suggest the Winifred. She sails out of Red Hook (American Yacht harbor), and only takes a max of 6 people. The Captain (Sharon Allen) is incredible at making people feel comfortable and welcome. We saw a spotted eagle ray and two sea turtles on our trip, as well as a multitude of other fish.
The other thing to be aware of is that some shops do not open if there are no cruise ships in town. As a matter of fact, Paradise Point tram does not run and the Point doen't even open when the ships aren't in port.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM

ttt
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM

beni iguana sushi near the grand hotel, i think. the sushi is awesome...very casual atmosphere. mussels are a MUST. iguana sauce is super yummy! have fun!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:17 AM

East End Cafe in Red Hook, which is near but not walking distance from the Ritz is good for lunch or dinner & is casual dress.

Tons of great restaurants in Frenchtown which is closer to the airport but farther away from the Ritz (worth it though, IMO). Craig & Sally's, Alexander's Bella Blu & several more.