Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. Kitts Activities with 5 & 8 Yr Old Boys (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-kitts-activities-with-5-and-8-yr-old-boys-577678/)

Suzette85 Dec 23rd, 2005 01:39 PM

St. Kitts Activities with 5 & 8 Yr Old Boys

We are going to the Marriott St Kitts in Jan for a week and would like some suggestions on things to do with boys ages 5 & 8. I heard about monkeys and a volcano, but am not sure where, how, etc. Any recommedations would be appreciated.
Thanks!

A_Traveller Dec 26th, 2005 07:06 AM

There are several local gudies who will take you on a hike up the volcano but it's a pretty strenious trek, with narrow steep trails and may not be suitable for your 5 year old and maybe even your 8 year old. You can o a rain forest tour on which you may be lucky enough to see the monkeys. They run wild on the island but usually are quite shy and avoid people so you have to hve a keen eye to see them in the trees and forests. There's a pet one at Turtle Beach. your boys will love exploring the Fort at Brimstone Hill (so will you) and you might want to take them on the Sugar Cane Railroad tour of the island.

Suzette85 Dec 26th, 2005 10:23 AM

Thanks for your ideas. One more item - so you think we are better off renting a car and going to these places on our own? Do you know if St Kitts American or UK drive?
Thanks!!!

A_Traveller Dec 26th, 2005 11:22 AM

You drive on the left, like in the UK. Renting a car vs. taking taxis is a personal choice. Personally, when I'm in the islands I always rent a car. It affords me the opportunity to come and go as I please. It's eazy to drive on St. Kitts and most of the good beaches are on the southern penninsula which are a fair distance from the Marriott. I'd say rent the car.

skbfan Dec 27th, 2005 12:50 PM

There is lots to do for you and your children.

The Marriott has many activities to keep them busy.

Brimstone Hill Fortress www.brimstonehillfortress.org

Turtle Beach Bar & Grill www.turtlebeach1.com to see Wilbur the pig, Tarzana the monkey and Cappacino the resident goat.

Go on a rainforest or plantation tour with Greg's Safaris. www.gregssafaris.com

Go snorkeling/kayaking with Turtle Tours. You can book them at The Marriott.

I would rent a car so you can explore the island or hire one of the many friendly cab drivers to take you around the island.

Visit www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com for more information on things to do and see.

When in January will you be there? Tours fill up quickly when a cruise ship is in town.

Suzette85 Dec 27th, 2005 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info. We are there the 3rd week of January.
I really want to make sure they see the Monkeys - where is the best place for that?
What do you actually see on the 'Safari'?

A_Traveller Dec 27th, 2005 03:14 PM

The monkeys roam wild around the island. There's no telling when or where you'll find them. On some days they are plentiful while on others they are scarce as hen's teeth. They can be found all over the island. Early morning (just after sun rise) is the best time. Up on the mountain side and in the rain forest are the best areas. That's when they come out to feed. Keep a sharp look out all day as they can be seen as they cross roads and trails. They are very quick.

Greg's Safari is a trip through the rain forest - you'll see a variety of exotic plants, perhaps a water fall or two (depends on the amount of recent rains), lots of local flaura and fauna, exotic birds and maybe monkeys. It's a nature hike - you'll see what is around on the day you make your trip - there are no gurantees as to what makes an appearance.

skbfan Dec 28th, 2005 08:13 AM

If you are there on January 19th, there is a Forum Link Up scheduled for 6PM at Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack located next to Timothy Beach Resort. (Down the street from The Marriott)

You are welcome to join us.... :)

LIZ

skbfan Dec 28th, 2005 02:50 PM

The Marriott has a program specially prepared for guests age 5-12 years in age.

Reservations are required by 6PM the night before the given program. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Daily program is available from 9AM-4PM for $30 per child (includes lunch). One half day option is also available from 9AM-Noon or 1PM-4PM for $20 per child (no lunch)

Activities:

Sports-a-Rama (beach soccer, watermelon eating contest, 3 legged races, bingo, water polo, basketball.

Beach Olympics, sand creations, scavenger hunts, seashell craft, kite making, bocce ball, build a sundae.

Mystery Monday - balloon creations, mystery hunt, mask making & talent show.

Pajama Party

Deep Sea Discovery - Discover the world underwater

Pizza Party

Pirates Day "Masters of the Sea"

Discovery Adventures - Safari search for monkeys, crabs, mongoose and other animals and insects found in St. Kitts.

Sounds like fun! :)

Suzette85 Dec 29th, 2005 03:40 PM

Thank you both for your help. We are looking forward to our vacation!