COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

St. John's Food and Caneel Bay

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Matt

St. John's Food and Caneel Bay

I am in the very last stages of planning my Sept honeymoon and have one final decision. Should I go with the break/dinner meal plan at Caneel Bay or find food on my own. The price is $90pp/day for Caneel Bay for Breakfast and Dinner. Does anyone have any insight into the food there? Also could I eat just as well in town for the same money?

Thanks for any input.

-Matt

Old May 16th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Matt! I can't comment on Caneel Bay, but I can tell you that food in St. John is quite pricey, but excellent. We spent 6 nights in June '99, and the range of prices for dinner for 2 people, including a shared appetizer, a main entree each, 1-2 drinks each, and a shared dessert was $70-130. We ate at all the recommended restaurants: Asolare, Chateaux Bordeaux, The Lime Inn, The Fish Trap, the Westin, and an Italian place I cannot remember the name. We did not have one single bad meal and it was fun to go out to eat. I hope that at least this gives you an idea of what to expect if you choose to not purchase a meal plan.

Old May 16th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Kelly

The food at the resort is wonderful and you would want to eat there at least once. However, if you buy the meal plan you will feel like you "have" to eat there. There are so many really good restaurants (look at the last message) in St. John and it is a lot of fun to explore Cruz Bay. Also, you will want to go to other beaches and maybe even rent a car for the day and explore. St. John is a great honeymoon choice! Have fun.

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Lara

We weighed the costs very carefully before we went to Caneel (including costs of car rental or cabs to get to local restaurants). If you plan to eat breakfasts at Caneel, it is so outrageously expensive, you will be better off getting the meal plan. We went with breakfast and dinner, but I wish we had gotten lunch also.

Please read my trip report for detailed info on the meal plans and costs at www.caribtravelnews.com under the Island Index.

One more thing to note, you can always add the meal plan after you arrive at Caneel.

Have fun, Lara

Old May 16th, 2001, 12:44 PM
allison

Hi Matt - My fiance and I spent a week in St. John for my birthday this past November and we had fantastic meals there. We did want to eat at Caneel Bay (you've made a great choice staying there) - but has some EXCELLENT meals around the island. The best dinner was at Asolare - the food and the ambiance. We wanted to eat there every night! We also loved Morgan's Mango, for fresh fish a great drink menu. Almost every day we had lunch at the Beach Bar. Seared tuna - delicious. We didn't get to eat at Paradiso - or Chateaux Bordeaux - and wanted to eat at both. We also had a good meal at the Stone Terrace. Eat at Caneel Bay - but don't lock yourself in - the food on st. John is fantastic. Have fun! We can't wait to go back - but first we have a honeymoon of our own in July to St. Barts, St. Kitts, and Nevis.

Old May 16th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Diane

In two weeksI will be returning to Caneel Bay for my third stay. Previously I used the breakfast/dinner meal plan. This stay I will not. Their price is based upon you choosing from every category on the dinner menu, appetizer, soup, salad, entre and dessert. This was too much food for me. In addition, on the days that I chose to scuba dive and eat lightly, I ate the light free continental rolls, jucice coffee/tea breakfast and was told that I would not be able to obtain a credit which could be used for lunch. Their food is excellent. I intend to eat most of my meals there, however, I feel that it will be more economical to pick and choose what I want.

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Matt

Lara - Great report just got done reading it. Gave me a great feel for what to expect.

Maria - Thanks for the prices. It sounds like Caneel is about the same $$ as eating out. If we spend between $70-$130 on dinner that only takes up a portion of the $180 we would be spending for breakfast and dinner at Caneel.

The breakfast we can do free continental for some of the days and eat a lunch either at the resort or out and about. I think I have made up my mind.

Any insight into what beer costs there? I am guessing it is in the $5/bottle range???

Just trying to nail down my budget.

Thanks everyone for all of the help!

Old May 17th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Matt! I don't know about the price of beer but mixed drinks and wine by the glass in restaurants were about $5-6 each, in more casual establishments they may have been $1-$2 less. I imagine beers must be a bit less ($1-$2) than mixed drinks and wine.
Enjoy St. John!