Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

ST. JOHN--WHO/WHERE TO CONTACT FOR BARTENDING JOB?

Old May 1st, 1997, 10:48 AM
donald aiken

I am interseted in moving to St. John, USVI, and I
need to find a job bartending. If you can help in any way, ie: names of good restaurants or bars, or people to contact I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks

Old May 2nd, 1997, 10:01 AM
Eduardo

Not sure about bartending jobs. But, I was surfing around VI sites and went to www.maho.org.
This is the site for MahoBay Campgrounds on St. John. They have a summer program where they hire people to work 4hrs/day in exchange for free housing and 40%25 off in the diningroom and store. You might want to check it o ut. Good luck

Old May 12th, 1997, 08:18 AM
Jean E. Bowers

Look up the U.S.V.I. on line. Find the address of the nearest Virgin Island Division of Tourism. For St. Croix the number is 1-800-524-2026. The office will be able to provide you with names and addresses of most of the restaurants,hotels and bars. From the addresses I would do a cover letter and resume. Mail the the U.S.V.I. is by regular postage. We are now is low season and they might not be hiring but it is a good time to start. I advise that you find out about housing,utilities etc. if you have never lived in the islands. If you are planing to ship your car ask them to include that information in a packet. When I lived on St. Croix having a home phone was a luxury. The cost of living is very high because almost everyting you use on a daily basis has to be shipped to the island. Island living is nice but it does take some getting used to for many reasons. During my time there it was impossible for me to get a job, because in almost every case they hire islanders first. Best of luck in your island adventure. It can be your own paradise. If I can be of any help,drop me a line.

Old May 31st, 1997, 06:42 PM
Lee Ann Gale

I would contact the management of the Lime Inn and the Fishtrap in Cruz Bay....they are two of our favorite restaurants.....I think you can find their phone numbers through usvi.com search or by ST John Guide book search....the manager Kurt, whom we always chat with, of the Fishtrap is gone until Nov and Rich Meyer is the owner of the Lime Tree.. It is a magical Island...I envy you if you do move there..Good