Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. John Villa on Beach Safe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-john-villa-on-beach-safe-564383/)

emgee Oct 13th, 2005 02:45 PM

St. John Villa on Beach Safe?

Hi...We'll be going to St. John in Feb./March 2006 with an extended family of 8 adults/2 small children (1 & 4). I'm intrigued by "Beach Villa" in Great Cruz Bay, which I found online. Any feedback on this place? It's right on the water, and I don't know if that's safe or if I should be looking for something more landlocked.

I'm also looking for other suggestions for a villa on St. John that will accomodate our crew. We'd like to be close to Cruz Bay and a beach, and also want a pool at the villa.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Tuxedocat Oct 13th, 2005 06:35 PM

I'll have to think about what other big villas are good, but to address your question regarding safety, I assume you are worried about the little ones. Beaches are like pools, with little ones it is always necessary to be vigilant. As for the type of neighborhood, it is a terrific neighborhood, very upscale and close to the Westin. It is fairly close to Cruz Bay yet far enough so you will have your privacy except maybe you might hear light noise from the Westin area. Look at Carefreegetaways.com and Caribbeandays.com for other possibilities.

Tuxedocat Oct 13th, 2005 06:39 PM

After I posted, I got to thinking... while just about anywhere on a tropical island you will get bugs at night, it can get pretty intense when you're close to the water. I don't know if this villa has provisions for fighting this condition e.g. industrial strength bug zappers, and it might be fine for adults, but it is so rough on little kids who aren't as able to swat and protect themselves, especially the 1 year old.

tess53 Oct 14th, 2005 01:34 PM

a few other great villas that you might look at:Ciellodonna/4 bed w/loft(which sleeps 2)..Ixora 5 bed.. and my personal favorite, Cinnamon Ridge/ 5 lg bed.all w/private bathrooms and decks.cinnamon and Ixora are not as close to cruz bay but easy ride.they also, IMO have the best views...cinnamon has sunset viewing..amazing !! we have rented these w/Caribbean Villas,,www.caribbeanvilla.com..check out the site, they have some beautiful villas !! good luck. also.. Beach Villa is VERY nice but the "beach" it's on is really not anything to rave about/great cruz bay, lots of boat action and yes on the beach the bug action is more than in the hills.

christiegr Oct 14th, 2005 04:56 PM

Cinnamon Ridge villa that Tess mentioned looks really nice and is very close to beautiful Cinnamon Bay and Trunk bay..maybe look into it further.:)If we had a large crowd going to St John during the Winter months(I believe that it has no AC but you should be fine during Winter)..I would stay there!Good luck!:)

Christie