Search

1st time to Jamaica - Negril, Ochio Rios or Montego Bay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time to Jamaica - Negril, Ochio Rios or Montego Bay

Hello Travelers,

It is our first time to Jamaica. We are considering which will male the best location. We are late 30's and looking to relax on the beach (we are not huge beach bums, but want to enjoy the sun while we are there) and we also want a location where we can enjoy horseback ride, atv, or ziplining, water sports, etc. We also would not want to be solely confined to the resort.

We are looking for an AI resort regardless of where we stay.

Most of our travels have been to Asia, Europe and Africa, so this Caribbean trip will be one of our first.

We also want a place where we can eenjoy the nightlife , shop, etc.

We appreciaite any suggestions or help that you can provide.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 01:26 PM

I've lived in Jamaica..absolutely go to Negril if you want to relax.
You'll find nightlife; proximity to activities.
I've found Ocho Rios and Montego Bay to be far more stressful-lots of people trying to sell you their wares or services.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 01:43 PM
WWK

I totally agree with the post above with one exception. I think it's a shame to go to Negril and stay at an AI, even though SWEPT AWAY is on a gorgeous section of Negril's famous seven mile beach.

There are some really nice small boutique hotels right on the best section of beach. If you're interested, look at IDLE AWHILE, COCO LA PALM, or CHARELA. Any of these hotels can help you arrange water sports, horseback riding on the beach, etc., or you can step onto the beach and easily arrange it yourself with one of the beach vendors.

Food in Negril is cheap and good. Another reason not to confine yourself to an AI. And getting out of the hotel gives you plenty of chances to interact with the locals, which is one of the best things about Negril.

There's not much shopping- although there's a high end mall (Times Square) near town. But there's plenty of nightlife- small clubs on the beach and in West End area.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 01:44 PM
WWK

Posted too soon. Meant to say I totally agree with post above. No exceptions! Ocho is full of vendors who really hassle you, and Montego Bay is very confining. Many times I've tried to wander into neighborhoods there and not felt all that safe. Anyway, good luck!
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 06:20 PM
KVR

I stayed AI in Negril and Ocho Rios. Most of the AI's in Negril are located on Bloody Bay, while most of the non-AI's are located on 7 Mile Beach. There is nothing in the vicinity of Bloody Bay, which is why AI's are necessary there. We did take the resort's sponsored tours and a taxi to the craft market and Rick's Café.

In Ocho Rios we stayed at the Jewel Dunn's River AI which used to be a Sandals resort. We loved the resort. Again, nothing to do close to the resort which is why AI's are more abundant there. We hired a personal driver to take us on excursions. I agree that the locals in Ocho Rios are way more aggressive than in Negril. You definitely do not want to shop in Ocho Rios. It's a nightmare. Nightlife is confined to what the resorts offer. However, there is more things to see and do off the resorts in Ocho Rios than in Negril.

From what you described, you will find more abundant in Mexico and there is no problems there with overly aggressive vendors and issues of walking off a resort like in Jamaica.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Negril is a wonderful place to vacation. If you're not big beach bums, you might like to stay on The Cliffs area instead. I wouldn't go All-Inclusive either.

Not certain all your requests will be available ("horseback ride, atv, or ziplining, water sports, etc."). Certainly there's some tours, boating, etc. but Negril is a very laid back place.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Oh, but I also agree with KVR above that you'd more easily find exactly what you describe somewhere in Mexico, over Jamaica. Less expensive too.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 02:25 PM

www.negrilonestop.com is the website I used for planning.