Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. John Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-john-restaurants-675627/)

LisaE Jan 31st, 2007 08:42 PM

St. John Restaurants

We will be renting a villa on St. John beginning 2/24. Is it necessary to make reservations in advance at restaurants like Asolare? Should I make them before leaving? Also, can you have dinner at Caneel Bay if you're not staying there? Thanks for your help.

SSypniewski Feb 1st, 2007 03:46 AM

I would suggest making reservations to restaurants at this time of year. We usually go during low season so we normally don't make reservations until the day of.

As far as Caneel goes, you most definitely can dine there even if you are not a guest. I would recommend the Equator over the Turtle Bay Estate House. The view is amazing. The food is good but expensive (so are other restaurants on St. John). I would also recommend Morgan Mango's, The Balcony and Zozo's. For a good breakfast, check out Texas Toast in Cruz Bay - they have a very good huervos rancheros. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer! - Susan

soggydollar Feb 1st, 2007 03:51 AM

We had a "date night" while staying in a villa with the family...we dined at the Equator at Caneel. Most beautiful view, pleasant servers, really great food. We do not often eat at such expensive places, but it was worth it to us and would go there again! We did have to make reservations and collared shirts for men and closed toe shoes for men.

LisaE Feb 1st, 2007 06:16 AM

Thank you both. Should I email Caneel from home for a reservation? Soggydollar, what is the dress for women at Caneel? I did assume collared shirt & long pants for men. Do the other restaurants have websites for reservations or should I call?

Tuxedocat Feb 1st, 2007 06:16 AM

February/March is still very much "high" season so if you really want to go to a particular restaurant, I would definitely call ahead. Have a wonderful time. Please write a report when you come back. It's always very helpful for others to read your experience, especially about a particular villa.

soggydollar Feb 1st, 2007 07:22 AM

I wore a simple skort, top and sandals(in fact I wore tevas because that is all i brought) they did not look at my feet!!Have fun!!

SSypniewski Feb 1st, 2007 08:10 AM

Yes you can email Caneel, however if you do not receive a response within a few days I would call them directly. I would suggest making your reservation conincide with the sunset. Men usually wear collared shirts and pants, in low season they can wear dress shorts. You may want to double check though if jackets are required (I don't think so but it is still high season). Women can wear anything from a nice sundress, top with capris, skirt etc. Hope this helps - Susan

SSypniewski Feb 1st, 2007 08:11 AM

Yes you can email Caneel, however if you do not receive a response within a few days I would call them directly. I would suggest making your reservation coincide with the sunset. Men usually wear collared shirts and pants, in low season they can wear dress shorts. You may want to double check though if jackets are required (I don't think so but it is still high season). Women can wear anything from a nice sundress, top with capris, skirt etc. Hope this helps - Susan