Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. John, Peter Island or Little Dix (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-john-peter-island-or-little-dix-638517/)

Promethia Aug 11th, 2006 05:08 PM

St. John, Peter Island or Little Dix

My fiance and I are planning on getting married in early December in the Caribbean. We are torn between Caneel Bay, Peter Island and Little Dix Bay. My fiance loves to snorkel off the beach, so this is a priority. Since this is our wedding/honeymoon we're willing to splurge. Does anyone have a preference of these three resorts?

A_Traveller Aug 12th, 2006 05:40 AM

Of the three resorts, Caneel Bay offers the most "on-resort" off-beach snorkeling. Little Dix Bay has some "off-beach snorkeling at the resorts and there's plenty of excellent off-beach snorkeling sites available around the island to rival what you'll find at Caneel Bay. Peter Island has the least off-beach snorkeling.

xkenx Aug 12th, 2006 07:05 AM

I agree with A traveller about the wade-in snorkeling from Caneel's SEVEN beaches. Not only that, but Caneel is one of the most incredibly romantic places on earth. It is so sprawled out that you feel like you have the place to yourselves. The grounds are gently rolling hills so you have views of ocean, sky, other islands wherever you go. And no development to be seen--it is in the National Park. If you get a room on Scott, Turtle, or Hawksnest Beach (my favorite), you are on the edge of the sand, only a few steps from the water. Don't do Caneel Beach--they put kids there. Take a look at the video on their website www.caneelbay.com As nice as the video is, it does not begin to do the place justice. Caneel is paradise on earth.

poss Aug 12th, 2006 07:52 AM

I've not been to Peter Island (for the very reason that my sense is that snorkeling isn't as terrific as at Caneel and on Virgin Gorda). Having been to both Caneel and Little Dix, I agree that Caneel is to be preferred if snorkeling is your highest priority. (I think the grounds are much more handsome at Caneel also.) If swimming pool and spa are impt, LD is much better. And LD has better rooms (unless Caneel has mightily upgraded since we were there 3 years ago). By the way, be sure to get your reservations in asap: those resorts can book up. Congrats!

Hols Aug 13th, 2006 11:41 PM

I can not speak to the snorkeling around Peter Island, but took a day trip there. This is an exceptional resort and I would highly recommend it!! There is only one resort, so there are NO crowds. St John will be more populated. Peter Island also has an incredible beach (the primary one near the resort) complete with a huge number of hammocks resting among the palm trees that line this beach. They have several accommodation choices. I would recommend a room that overlooks this beach. Many of the other rooms are on the side of the hill where you can dock. It's nice, but not as nice. If this island doesn't have enough snorkeling, you are located 1/2 way between St John and Virgin Gorda. You could do a charter easily to these islands, or to Tortola / Cooper Island for additional snorkeling.

They have at least 2 very nice restaurants. I like the more casual one on the above mentioned beach, but the primary one is also very well rated. I love St John and Lil Dix Bay and am taking my 5th trip to St John again over NY's. But if I were planning a wedding / honeymoon, I would pick Peter Island. Personal choice.

Another option - maybe you split your time and do half the trip on Peter Island and the other half at Caneel Bay if you are spending 1 week to 10 days or so. If you do want to stay on St. John and are open to other considerations to Caneel Bay, google for Gibney Beach Cottages. They are in a great setting - beach front on a very secluded beach on the north shore. Not too far from Cruz Bay. They also have some GREAT cottages for honeymooning on the Coral Bay side.

Good luck and congrats!

Promethia Aug 14th, 2006 05:19 AM

Thank you for all of the great advice. One last question! I am leaning towards Peter Island and maybe spending a couple of days in St. John. However, if snorkeling is so important to my fiance would you consider Turks & Caicos at all? I was considering Grace Bay Club but was nervous that we'd get too bored. Would you stick with Peter Island?

caribtraveler Aug 14th, 2006 05:48 AM

Promethia: How long is your honeymoon? I've stayed on Peter Island for a long weekend. As much as I loved it, I would have gotten bored if we'd stayed there a week or longer.
Great idea to split it with another island if you do indeed decide on Peter Island.
I have pictures of our trip on this board if you want to see them. I can give you the link if you can't find them.
I have not stayed at the other properties. I spent one morning at Caneel and it is lovely indeed.
We're going to Grace Bay Club in about 6 weeks. If you still frequent this board, look for my trip report then.
Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

WaywardSeal Aug 14th, 2006 07:24 AM

Promethia: Hols recommendation to split the time between Caneel and PIR is one I would agree with.
I split two weeks for my honeymoon between the two in 04 and have stayed at Caneel other times and still can't decide which one was my favorite.

They both have their own unique style.
P.I. is very low key and a great place to get away from it all. Caneel is just as beautiful with more choices for incredible beaches.
Although Peter Island only has two beaches you would use-they're both comparable to what Caneel has.

Although Caneel might have more areas for wade in snorkeling-Peter Island has a less traveled beach (White Bay), which is a terrific unspoiled area where you can literately snorkel for hours and still not see everything.
Unfortunately some of Caneel's snorkeling spots have coral that has died off (from many reasons) and therefore no longer support as vibrant underwater life as they once did.