Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. John or Grand Cayman? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-john-or-grand-cayman-59784/)

Kim Jan 12th, 2000 08:29 AM

St. John or Grand Cayman?

My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip and cannot decide on whether to go to St. John or Grand Cayman. We are looking for a place where we can relax on the beach, snorkel, rent a Jeep and sight see, etc... Also, where do you recommend staying on each island? Thanks for your help! <BR>

Rick Jan 12th, 2000 12:45 PM

Kim, <BR> <BR>Without a doubt, Grand Cayman would be my choice. I was in USVI, St Thomas and St John about 6 years ago and although many people will still recommend it, it really scared the hell out of me. We never felt safe and to this day will never go back. I believe that as you see more and more of the Caribbean you truly get what you pay for. Grand Cayman was excellent, snorkeling, relaxing, bars, restaurants, etc. Very safe, so much so that it was shocking how friendly natives were, 2 years ago we were there. In Grand Cayman we stayed at the Holiday Inn, it was more like a resort than what you think of here in the US, right on the beach and very reasonable. Also, they had the best reggae band playing on the island nightly there.

Julie Jan 12th, 2000 12:51 PM

While I have heard quite a bit about safety concerns in St. Thomas, I am very surprised to hear that anyone would feel unsafe on St. John...

Julie Jan 12th, 2000 12:55 PM

Kim: I think you will find that St. John has everything you and your husband are looking for: beautiful beaches, great snorkeling, etc. And a popular thing to do there is rent a jeep and explore the island, which is largely a national park. I am going there in June and can't wait.

Lori Jan 12th, 2000 01:59 PM

Well, I have only been to Grand Cayman so my vote is to go there!!!! <BR> <BR>If your looking for great beaches to relax on then stay at the Westin directly on 7 mile beach. One of the most gorgeous beaches I have ever seen. <BR> <BR>Rent a jeep and travel around the island and explore other beaches such as Rum Point, snorkel at different spots along the drive like Smith Cove, Cemetary Reef. etc. There is also excellent snorkelling off the beach in fron of the Westin. <BR> <BR>The food, bars in Cayman are excellent. Watch out some can tend to be pricey but it was all very good. <BR> <BR>Grand Cayman is an excellent place to relax and tan on the beach while listening to reggae and sipping an ice cold REd Stripe. Also, you must take a full day snorkelling trip with Capt. Marvin. - in addition to stopping at the famous Stingray City which was awesome, we also saw an amoray eel and a reef shark in addition to many beautiful fishes. <BR> <BR>Go to Grand Cayman <BR> <BR>Lori <BR>

stephanie Jan 12th, 2000 04:31 PM

Regarding renting a jeep and exploring, I would vote for St. John. It's fun to drive a jeep and view the ocean & secluded coves and beaches from atop the hills of the island (you DO drive on the other side of the road.) Whereas, Cayman is very flat, and though I haven't explored the island by car, it seems that St. John would be better for that. <BR> <BR>They both have beautiful beaches, St. John perhaps has more little secluded beach areas. They both have good snorkeling. Both good choices. Good luck deciding, and have a wonderful time!

stephanie Jan 12th, 2000 04:34 PM

P.S. The Holiday Inn is gone in Cayman. They are building a Ritz where it used to be.