St. John lover goin to Jamaica- Help!

Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

St. John lover goin to Jamaica- Help!

Hello Everyone!

I haven't post in here in a long time but was hoping someone can assure me that I will enjoy my next trip. Year after year my husband and I vacationed in St. John. We loved the different villas, beaches, and peacefulness. We never even thought about trying a different island. Well since then we have divorced and I have relocated, have a new job and boyfriend. I am more than ready for some Caribbean R&R but my boyfriend did not seem to warm up to anyone of my St. John suggestions. To him the thought of just sitting on a beach all day seems very boring to him. He has yet to try snorkling so I can't tempt him with that. Lastly, when we talk vacation budget he can't fathom the price of a St. John vacation. SO I feel I really need to compromise. Hence his friend just returned from an AI in Jamaica and had an amazing time therefore talking my boyfriend in to this. He really liked the activites offered, all the food and call liquor choices that were included and the fact that our room is on the beach rather than driving to the beaches and renting a car blah blah blah. I am excited to get away and am VERY happy with the price but am scared I will feel homesick for ST. John while I'm there. Anyone out there ever make the transition? Sorry for the long post and the "drama" but I can't even look at St. John forums without getting upset...
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:15 AM

I can't discuss what you'll miss from St. John as I've never been...but I've been to Jamaica a few times and I LOVE it!!!

First off, where in Jamaica are you going? That'll make a big difference!
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi chgeeb!

We are going to Couples Swept Away in Negril. Ever been?
Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM

I haven't been to that exact place as I went with a few guy friends (wouldn't really fit the bill of Couple Swept Away)
But we did go to Negril a few times! I love it there...it's by far my favorite city in Jamaica. Make sure to go to Rick's Cafe out on the cliffs..head there around 5 or so in the afternoon, relax, have some drinks, enjoy the live music, atmosphere, cliff diving pros, and of course, the world famous sunset they have there. I know what you're thinking, "I've seen a sunset, big deal." The whole vibe of being in Jamaica, out on the cliffs during the sunset is almost surreal. It's great. Enjoy the beautiful beach also! I'm extremely jealous you're headed there! I can't wait to go back!
Negril is very relaxed, you'll have plenty of just loafing around, I'm not too sure how the snorkeling is.
There is a lot to do though! Enjoy it!
Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM

I have been to CSA 3 times over the last 7 years. It is fantastic. Are you getting a beachfront suite? We really liked the older rooms, no T.V's. Take a day trip to mayfield Falls, go to Ricks for a couple of sunset drinks. You will want to keep going back!
Jun 24th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We are definitely heading to Ricks cafe. I've seen that place on the travel channel and always wanted to go~ I booked a beachfront veranda suite. I would have liked totry the older rooms but I panicked and thought if my BF gets bored at least we can fall back on ESPN!
Jun 24th, 2008, 04:44 AM

I understand your worries. We've never been to Jamaica, but we are huge St. John lovers. A few months ago we decided to try Grand Cayman despite our hesitation of it not being as good as St. John. We ended up loving Grand Cayman (although we'll still go back to St. John again of course).

My advice: although at first you'll want to compare everything to St. John, try to open your mind and see Jamaica for what it is: Jamaica! You can still love St. John and enjoy new places as well.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip
Jun 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM

We were in St. John this past spring and we, too, are heading for Grand Cayman next time around. Looking forward to condo on the beach in January.
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Yes, try not to compare the two. Try not to get to nostalgic about the old times. Try to see this as a new beginning and embrace the change!

That said, the thing I liked most about Jamaica was its identity. It is not a colony, it is its own country with its own traditions and products and ways. Have fun discovering it. Drink blue mountain coffee (don't fall for blends, only drink 100%), drink Jamaican rum cream, drink Ting, eat jerk, and just relax. I felt the beaches weren't as nice as other islands, but stop comparing them. They are all going to have their drawbacks.

A vacation with a new person is a good time to take stock of the relationship and see how it is going. So, let go of how you think a vacation should be and jump in with both feet.