St. John - latest weather/mosquitos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving for St. John in about two weeks. It looks like there has been a lot of rain there lately, and there is more forecast for the coming week - - - more than the usual "30%," which really doesn't have much of an impact.

Are there still patches of sun most days; How is the mosquito situation? Do they spray on the island? Thanks.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:04 AM

This info is from October 10th.

Lovely trip report - thank you (even though I'm not on STJ!)

Just have to say that the mossies are rampant of late because of a deluge of rain courtesy of two tropical waves/eventual hurricanes which missed us by many miles but whose outer swaths dumped upon us LOTS of rain. Nothing we can do about that...

We're now over it and almost back to normal but, yes, they do suck...

When they're usually running they're just irritating and the majority of repellants keep them at bay but, after a heavy rain, they transform into miniature helicopters. Big fat bodies with whirring wings like helicopter blades, they're just lethal.

Our weather is now back to pretty much normal so fret not. Cheers!

They are also reportedly spraying the island today. The skeeters are a problem 7-10 days after heavy rain. Hopefully it will be fine by the time you go.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM

schrink: Indeed, the weather has been very rainy! There will be plenty of mosquitos and probably some issues with washed out roads, but, as much as we hate to admit it, you are hardly going to the 3rd world. You will experience a higher than normal mosquito presence due to the rain, but that is easily accommodated with extra bug spray. I think you will be largely uneffected. They do not spray on the island. If you are staying at the Westin, there may be some spraying. I wouldn't worry too much other than take the usual precautions of making sure you have enough bug spray and being more vigilant regarding application. Mosquitos are a part of tropical life no matter what, but you can make adjustments.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Tuxedocat- thanks for the reassurance. We'll be at Caneel, and I am hoping that they spray a bit before we get there next weekend. I ordered 35% DEET lotion over the internet, and it will be delivered tomorrow, FedEx. I am also planning to take Kyolic garlic capsules for 10 days before departure - - - I used these once on a trip to Parrot Cay, and they seemed to help quite a bit. It's just that it is a special occasion trip, and I do not want to be swatting at mosquitos the entire time!
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:58 AM

Right now, Hurricane Omar is bearing down on The Virgin Islands and should hit into the night tonight as a Cat 1 or 2. I'm really hoping it doesn't do too much damage. We are going in 6 weeks.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM

brenandg: Where are you going to stay this time? I think things will be much recovered by the time you get there. Miss Lucy's will be open then, hope you get a chance to go out there. Have a great time. Can't wait for your trip report.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM

We are staying at Gallow's Point again. It just works well for us and we don't find Cruz Bay too busy as we are really never around there during the day. It's nice to be able to walk to town at night.

We ate at Miss Lucy's our first trip. We weren't crazy about it but should probably give it another chance. The views certainly are nice. We have lunch almost every day in Coral Bay. Usually it's a North Shore Beach, then off to Coral Bay for lunch. Did you hear about the new place that opened right by Salt Pond called The Tourist Trap? They have lobster rolls on the menu. Thought that might be something to try on our Salt Pond day. We need to pry ourselves away from Skinny Leg's! I love Skinny's salads as well as the burgers. Really fresh every time I have gotten one.

Not sure about a trip report this time. They aren't as fresh and full of wonder as the first couple of times. It feels like going home now. We have met some really great people who live on the island as we have been going twice a year since 2006.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:43 AM

Thank you for mentioning the new restaurant by Salt Pond. We are going down Saturday, and with several of our favorites closed this month, I was thinking we'd be at Skinny Legs for every meal. Not that that is a bad thing, lol.

Schrink and brenandg, enjoy your trips.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2008/09/26/...trap/#comments

Here's a little story about The Tourist Trap.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM

We just came back from St. John and yes we survived the earthquake, Hurricane Omar, etc. It was quite an adventure. Yes the mosquitos and no-see-ums were out and about. I myself was bitten all over. I did try the Avon Skin So Soft and even OFF. OFF works, but after about an hour they come back for more.

I have heard to try garlic tabs, rubbing gin on the skin but I really don't know what the remedy is. If anyone knows let me know!

At least when I come back home the don't itch anymore
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the link to the Tourist Trap. This will be a must-do.

Also appreciate the tip to rub gin on the skin to ward off the skeeters. I think I will try to apply internally first.