Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

st. john is the winner, what about vacation vista.com?

Nov 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

after much discussion and help from everyone here at the forums, my sisters want to go to st. john. bottom line it is easiest to get to esp for my sister from the midwest. since i am familiar with the island, it should make the trip easier. however last time i was there one of my friends liked to cook. my sisters and i are not exactly kitchen mavins!

Has anyone used vacation vista .com? they seem to have really great sounding villas. also one of my sisters cannot make it so we only need a 3 bedroom house. I would go back to second wind, except i'd like to be closer to cruz bay and the north shore beaches. anyway, any info on the vacation vista site would be greatly appreciated
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM

These 2 sites focus on the USVI. They might be more helpful:

http://www.vinow.com/wwwtalk/list.php?4,page=1

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.co...days=0&start=0
Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

thanx for input. Got hold of lisa at vacation vista and the house we want is available! Has any one stayed in Calypso de Sol? website says this used to be called wanderer we'll be there next summer.
Dec 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM

justme22, I haven't stayed at Calypso de Sol, but did stay on Hart Bay right next to it in September. It's a great area-close to Cruz bay. There were about 6 houses under construction in that area in September, but I'd imagine they'll be finished by next summer. Not sure if more will be popping up or not. Note that Pond Bay resort was also just starting construction while we were there-I'd be somewhat concerned about that with your location as it's nestled in Chocolate Hole. Maybe it will be done by the time you arrive? Then again, it might not be an issue anyway if you spend your days at the beaches. They usually work from about 7am-4pm. Itís funny-the house thatís on top of the hill across the way (you can see it in the pictures for your villa) has these horrible white lights going all the way across their balcony. We kept wishing they would turn them off at night and just let the house blend in with the rest of the mountain. Youíll see what I mean when you get there. Anyway the lights of St. Thomas at night are really beautiful and youíll have a great view of them. The sunsets arenít that great as they set behind the hill across the way. I donít think youíll be able to see the sunrises from your villa as youíre nestled into the mountain. Hereís the link from our pictures and trip report if you want to see. There are pictures of that area. We had a great time and Iím sure you will to!!! Ps-Katilady does great catering if you want to have a dinner delivered since you arenít big on cooking. Enjoy!

Part 1:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...Uy=muf3aj&Ux=0

Part 2:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...fromshare&Ux=0

Dec 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

thanx so much for your great pictures. i will talk to the rental agency about construction. the thing about Calypso de Sol is that it has a screened porch so that means we can be out there for dinner without any noseems and other buggy relatives.... my sisters and i are very excited. I haven't been on vacation with them together since 1967!
Dec 5th, 2007, 05:40 AM

That's great it has a screened in porch (although I would still bring bug repellant-those critters are brutal!) And the covered patio is definitely a plus, with the hot sun in the afternoon. Can't wait to see your trip report! Have a great time!