Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. John in May, June or July? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-john-in-may-june-or-july-835268/)

virginiafish Apr 12th, 2010 04:44 AM

St. John in May, June or July?

Thinking of returning to St. John for another visit. Curious as to thoughts about being there at the beginning of hurricane season. Also, suggestions for villa rental for 5 adults (2 couples and one 21 year old) would be appreciated.

RoamsAround Apr 12th, 2010 04:53 AM

Although the official CAtlantic/Caribbean Hurricane Season runs from June 1 through November 30 the chances of you seeing a major storm during May or June is VERY, VERY, VERY small. In fact, according to the National Weather Service data since 1852 there have been no hurricanes or tropical storms affecting St. John during the months of May or June (and only 6 in July during that same time period).

Kristen1206 Apr 12th, 2010 06:53 AM

We have had great luck weatherwise in early June.

Pulley Apr 12th, 2010 11:01 AM

We've been to St. John in May, June, July, August, September and October. All hurricane months and we've never had bad weather. If you are worried about storms go in May or June. Or if you're like us we rent a house for week with the following Monday a holiday like Memorial Day, Fourth of July or Labor day - we like the extra day home to recoup from snorkeling.

There are a ton of 3 bedroom villas to choose from. It really depends on your budget and location preferences. Narrow it down and I'll share some of my thoughts.

Enjoy,
Pulley

StanKase Apr 12th, 2010 12:20 PM

Though we have been lucky in the summer as well with the global warming affecting weather patterns I personally would avoid the period mid-July-mid-Oct. The suggestion for renting right after Memioral Day sounds likea great idea in terms of availability and you probabily can get a price break. I have noticed a number of Caribbean resorts have tried to extend the shoulder season from April 1-15 until May 31. Obviously in 2008-09 they have been very flexibly with the economy but I noticed it beginning in 2005 or 2006.

KVR Apr 12th, 2010 02:23 PM

We went in a May, the week before Memorial Day. Got a great price and we didn't feel it was over crowded like in the summer months. It did rain on and off the entire week though.

virginiafish Apr 12th, 2010 03:07 PM

Thanks for all of these responses! I will keep you posted as we progress.

virginiafish Apr 13th, 2010 04:20 AM

Thanks for the help. We think it will be a fine time of year to go with these reassurances.

Pulley, would love to have your villa recommendations. There will be 2 couples and a 21 year old, so we need three bedrooms. Would like water view, possibly pool and/or screened-in porch, patio with some shade. Price range, given the season, around $3,000-3,500. Let me know your thoughts, please. Recommendations on location appreciated.

Tuxedocat Apr 13th, 2010 08:42 AM

I would look around mid-island which would place you within easy access of either north shore beaches, Cruz Bay or Coral Bay areas.