Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. John hotel help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-john-hotel-help-needed-409962/)

italyinjuly Mar 12th, 2004 06:47 AM

St. John hotel help needed

staying for 4 nights in late may early june and need help deciding on a hotel/villa. Westin/Caneel both a little pricey for me but I don't want to stay in a dump either. What are my options?

Thanks!

travleis Mar 12th, 2004 08:16 AM

Rates are becoming attractive at the time you're looking at (beginning of summer), and there is a large variety of nice villa options if you don't want to spend the $$$ on one of the resorts.
What kind of budget range are you looking at?

italyinjuly Mar 12th, 2004 01:36 PM

i'd probably like to stay at 150 or below, but if something was really nice and worth it i'd probably go a little higher.

mewmon Mar 12th, 2004 06:57 PM

italyinjuly,
There really aren't any "dumps" on St. John. Hotel options are limited. Westin and Caneel are the 2 major resorts. Gallows Point is the other main hotel-like condo complex. There are a lot of smaller condo complexes and some very reasonable villa rentals. I will be glad to help with more info.

cmeyer54 Mar 12th, 2004 09:15 PM

You can try Lavender Hill - but they are not on the beach. Or..go to VRBO.com and see if an owner has a place on or near the beach that is availabble to rent. The westin has timeshares that might be available then. You could also google on St John Lodging. We stayed at the westin. its gotten mixed reviews; spent a day at Caneel - very pricey but nice. You can go to their beach but not sit on the chairs. They have patrols coming around to verify if you are a guest and therefore, allowed a seat....even if the place is empty. Gallows point looked quite nice from the bay.

italyinjuly Mar 15th, 2004 08:40 AM

mewmom...a smaller condo/villa would be great! any recomendations?

cmeyer54...i'll check out lavender hill, thanks!

jcb Mar 15th, 2004 08:53 AM

Have you check out Estate Lindholm? The garden view is $170 a night and includes breakfast. It's in a wonderful location.

FYI - many of the villas have a 5 night minimun in summer.

Good luck!!

jns2 Mar 19th, 2004 11:55 AM

I believe The Estate Lindholm will be more like 140 something in june.Check out their website. It is a Great little place. We cant wait to go back.

italyinjuly Mar 19th, 2004 12:34 PM

e-l was 170 a night

we went with mahogany tree villas, the people seem really nice and the website looks pretty good, any thoughts?

jcb Mar 19th, 2004 01:13 PM

Check on the user reviews on www.usvi-on-line.com. It seems to be getting good reviews. Have a wonderful trip!!!

mewmon Mar 19th, 2004 02:44 PM

italyinjuly,
sorry for the delay in a response - I didn't see your post until today.
You made a great choice with Mahogany Tree Villas. You will love the convenience of being able to walk into town without having to take the car everytime. You can also stroll to Franks bay and take your morning coffee with you. Additionally, there is a mangrove nearby with a bench to watch the wonderful waterfowl. Sunset views... and a few cats in the neighborhood to greet you! You will love it! Good choice!
Let us know how the trip goes! I will be on St. John shortly after you, and I can't wait. Email me personally and let me know what your highlights were!
Have a wonderful time!