St. John - Grande Bay Resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of renting a week at Grande Bay Resort (via VRBO.com) next month.
Has anyone stayed there or has any thoughts (+/-) regarding this condo?

Thank you so much for your help.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM

We have some friends that live on St Thomas and they stayed there in May. They did a nice review on their blog. I will post the link. Scroll down to May 4th.

http://livedelifeusvi.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

How can I say this. I'm not sure I would recommend it if you are looking for a quieter, more remote place to stay. It is RIGHT in town and there is still construction going on. I'm sure there is no office or anything yet. As mentioned in the review, nothing too loud. The jackhammering on the hillside is done finally and the only major construction to be completed is the units right next to Lavender Hill. If you want something a little quieter and more secluded but close to town, I would choose Gallow's Point.

Having said all of that, I just booked at Grande Bay for November 26th-December 5th. We have been going twice a year since 2006 and always stay at Gallow's Point. It is just getting out of our price range for as often as we go. It is however very nice there and I highly recommend it over Grande Bay. Thanks to knowing some island friends, we got a very good deal there through a booking agent. We know what we are getting into in terms of construction, location, etc as we have been walking past it for the few years that it has been going on. We got a "penthouse" unit for quite a bit less than listed on the VRBO site. The booking agents number is listed on the review that I posted. I do have to tell you that the hassle I went through to get responses from her was frustrating. She was on vacation for a while, then sort of blew me off. I actually had to ask a friend who lives on STJ to track her down to get back to me. A bit ridiculous I thought for someone doing "business". All is fine now and we have been in contact. I didn't even know it was listed on VRBO, but the rate we got on the unit was worth the Coconut Telegraph hassle. Hope this helps
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Here is a link to another review.

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2009/03/01/inside-grande-bay/
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Brenandg. This is sooooo helpful!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM

If you happen to look at this again and are even considering Gallow's Point, read the May 17th excerpt from the blog. That is from our unit, 10C. I love the way the doors open. This is a harbor view (upper), but right on the point.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 04:01 AM

Hi, my husband and I just stayed there and we had a wonderful experience. The construction that the previous posts have mentions has been finished. They have a wonderful pool, gym and the staff was very friendly. You can see more of the resort on their website: www.grandebayresortusvi.com

Hope this helps.