i was about to book a trip to st john and was concerned when i started reading about the recent increase in crime and home invasions. I have traveled to a few places in the Caribbean before like Aruba, St Lucia, and Playa Del Carmen and i understand that these places are relatively safe but there is always an element of crime to be wary of. I live just 2 miles outside of NYC and have lived in the shadow of NYC all my life.. so i am aware of my surroundings and how best to avoid street crime. However, home invasions are a different story. It sounds like a crew of thugs seem to know its easy to break into many of these rentals and threaten unarmed tourists and get away with it.
While it seems odds are unlikely it will happen to you (divide the number of home invasion victims over all the visitors to St John over the past few years and you will get a very low % I'm sure). i think we can be certain it will happen again.
With that being said, does anyone know if these burglaries / home invasions ever occurred on the resort properties like Caneel Bay or the Westin? These are the locations i am looking at and i was wondering if additional security is provided here. Do these burglaries only occur in the villa rentals scattered throughout town and the outskirts of town.
hoping for some insight to this issue..
Read more: http://www.frommers.com/community/forum.cfm/caribbean-atlantic/virgin-islands/st-john-safetycrime-westin-caneel-bay/.0#ixzz1n8sVC8Wx
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 HP PRINTER 1800:681 :7208 installations CONTACT HP Techh care
- 2 Moving... Crohn's disease?
- 3 Christmas vacation
- 4 Spring Trip with 7 & 5 y/o
- 5 SWIMMING AND FOOD...WHICH ISLAND TO CHOOSE?
- 6 Southern Caribbean Getaway Advice
- 7 Aruba All Inclusive vs. Not
- 8 NYE in Punta Cana
- 9 Chacchoben Ruins, The Real Thing?
- 10 Bicycle Ride in Ocho Rios
- 11 st.thomas vs st. croix
- 12 Favorites and Must-dos in St. Lucia
- 13 Abaco day trips
- 14 BEWARE of TU Bahamas Rentals
- 15 Caneel Bay in St. John?
- 16 Staniel Cay surrounds - end of year
- 17 Yoga & Surf vacation for my family
- 18 St Croix at Christmas with small children
- 19 Grand Cayman Beaches
- 20 Barbados Cruise to Airport
- 21 New EasyBreathe Snorkel Mask
- 22 sailing the Abacos
- 23 Grace Bay after hurricane
- 24 Private secluded Carribean Cottage
- 25 Advise for first timers to St.Lucia