Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St John--Cinnamon Tarn, Island Time, Amani or Mystic Ridge villa?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-john-cinnamon-tarn-island-time-amani-or-mystic-ridge-villa-509332/)

TLK879 Mar 4th, 2005 01:50 PM

St John--Cinnamon Tarn, Island Time, Amani or Mystic Ridge villa??

Hi, I can't decide between these villas. Im going to St John the first week in May and it will be my first time. Im leaning more towards Cinnamon Tarn or Island Time which are both a little cheaper than Amani and Mystic Ridge. I want a villa with a hot tub and one that is somewhat close to restaurants, bars, shops, Cruz Bay. I will probably go with Cinnamon Tarn. Has anyone ever stayed there or at any of the other villas? Any advice, opinions, suggestions would help. Thank you!! : )

Tracey

VIslander Mar 4th, 2005 02:58 PM

Starlit Escape Villa, on St. John, has a reputation for being inexpensive yet a class operation. No hot tub, but there is a pool.

cartera Mar 4th, 2005 03:31 PM

LOL Tracey - you are still agonizing too. I recognize you from the USVI forum. I find new ones everyday that I want to book. I think you have some really good choices and you may need to put them in a hat and draw one. That's what I may do.

TLK879 Mar 4th, 2005 08:35 PM

Yea I know, tell me about it!! LOL! I cant stop looking! And because Ive never been there it is even harder to pick one. Will you be a first timer too? When are you going? I was interested in many others but they all got booked up already. What have you heard about any of these villas? I havent heard much about Island Time but Ive seen great reviews for Cinnamon Tarn. It looks very nice, but a little weird from the outside. Is it just me??

cartera Mar 5th, 2005 01:12 PM

Yes, first time. Going with a friend and teenage daughter the 3rd week of June. I have a lot more availablity than you do and have narrowed it down to about 20 places! I think Cinnamon Tarn looks the best and I like the location. You had better book before you lose it. I noticed that there is a difference in the price of many places depending on the agent. Your best price seems to be on www.cvoa.com. They can do airfare for you too. I think the Chocolate Hole location is a little more controversial - more mixed reviews. Talk about a "unique" place, take the virtual tour of this place.I have to admit that the view from the roof is pretty amazing. http://www.windspree.com/homes/thecastle/

TLK879 Mar 5th, 2005 04:21 PM

Hi, I did book it. I just havent payed anything yet, so if I wanted to I could still back out. I really like it though...but I just found out that it doesnt have a/c at all. So now Im concerned if that is going to be a problem. I dont want to be uncomfortable and sweating at night. Hopefully it wont be a problem and there will be enough cool breezes.

brenandg Mar 5th, 2005 04:46 PM

cartera,

That place looks awesome. I love that kind of architecture. Rates not too bad low season either. If I were staying in the Coral Bay area, this one would top my list.

Debden Mar 6th, 2005 09:17 AM

TLK879,I would not worry about not having air conditioning.We just had ceiling fans in our rental home and it kept us nice and cool.
We are renting in the Villa Caribe Condos on St John called Larimar.
It's a 2 Bed/2 Bath Condo with just ceiling fans (no air cond.) and should be just fine. We'll be there the end of August....Can't wait...
The air is cooler the higher up on St John you go..so you should not have any problems sleeping at night.
Debbie

Debden Mar 6th, 2005 09:34 AM

We stayed at this villa:
www.villacielomar.com
It's in it's own free-standing building.
Seperate from the other 4 Condos.
Very Nice,very convenient to Cruz Bay,quiet and they are in a gated property with a beautiful lap pool.
We loved this villa. Give it a look and let me know what you think??
Just trying to help.
Debbie

TLK879 Mar 6th, 2005 11:08 AM

Hi Debbie,
Villa Cielomar was on the top of my list when I first started looking. It looked awesome, but they didnt have the exact dates that I wanted. I would have had to leave a day or two earlier. Was it private? I noticed it had a shared pool. Thanks for the advice.

Debden Mar 6th, 2005 02:02 PM

TLK879,Yes,Villa Cielomar is very private. You walk past the pool and other condos and it's entrance is around the corner and down some steps.
The jacuzzi in the living room was great.Not heated...but after we used it a couple of times we were glad it wasn't. The pool is shared by all the condos and is wonderful! Big and great to cool off a little. They have flower bushes next to the pool that lots of little humming birds come and use...
They are so tiny and pretty to watch too. We really enjoyed our stay.
Have you decided on Cinnamon Tarn?
It looks great! And high up too.Wonderful views!
Hope you enjoy your stay,
Debbie

rdb1204 Mar 10th, 2005 02:26 PM

We are going to Villa Cielomar in May and are looking forward to it. Been to other Villas but never there. What is the view like? What other highlights and/or lowlights can we expect?