St. John accomodations --HELP

Dec 21st, 1997, 07:51 AM
Lisa Bierer

St. John accomodations --HELP

Planning to visit either St. Thomas or St. John in March. I've heard that St. John is the nicer of the two Islands to stay at. Does anyone have any suggestions about either a nice two-bedroom villa with a private pool or a smaller, beach front hotel with comfortable ammenities? Also, can you tell me anything about prices on the Island?? i.e. good bargains, food costs, day trips that are not to be missed etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dec 24th, 1997, 10:47 AM
michael

In my opinion, St. John is vastly superior as a Caribbean vacation destination to St. Thomas. St. John is very safe, serene, and uncrowded. 66%25 of the island is a national park, and a first class national park at that. People are friendly and helpful. We stayed twice at a house overlooking Fish Bay (not on the beach) which was wonderful, although the second time there it almost blew away (seriously) in Hurricane Hugo. I am sure that it is in fine condition. Your best bet is to call the chamber of commerce for St. John, get some realtors' names, and start researching properties for rent. Most places on the island will be nice and simple, although there must be some palaces hidden away somewhere. You should also look in the Sunday NY Times travel section under small inns and cottages for listings of properties. When there, definitely make a trip out to Coral Bay which many people don't do.

Dec 28th, 1997, 01:45 PM
bb

We stayed at Gallows Point on Cruz Bay last March. We loved it. Sounds like what you want. They have a web page. Check it out.

Dec 29th, 1997, 11:53 AM
Marjorie Tausek

No contest...St. John is vastly superior. Many
beautiful beaches with great snorkeling. We often
have had the out of the way beaches to ourselves. Get a copy of St. John's Beach Guide when you get there (for sale in most shops) for directions to the many great beaches.
Be sure to rent a four wheel drive jeep so you can
get to the remote beaches. We have stayed
several times in properties owned by Donald Schnell, a transplanted American who makes
beautiful pottery and owns a shop at Mongoose
Junction in Cruz Bay. One of them, Gifft Hill Villa, has a three bedroom villa with it's own pool overlooking a spectacular view of Chocolate Hole and the Carribean. Donald and his staff are very attentive to your every need. You can call them at 1-800-253-7107 for rates, although you may be a little late for this winter season. Tell them I referred you! Enjoy St. John!!

Search this Thread