Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. John accomodation help (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-john-accomodation-help-105038/)

Sandy Feb 9th, 2001 05:59 AM

St. John accomodation help

My husband and are a planning a romantic get-a-way to St. John in April. We see our travel agent is having a special on the Westin Resort. Has anyone had any experiences here? Or can recommend something else on the island? We are not he camping type. We are looking for R & R, sun, fun, good dining, music, dancing and of course pampering. Please advise, thank you.

Joe Feb 9th, 2001 07:09 AM

If you are not very concerned about the cost then you MUST stay at Caneel Bay. I went there for my honeymoon and I was amazed at the service and awesome beaches. You could not ask for a more relaxing vacation. A little expensive but well worth the cost!!

Michelle Feb 9th, 2001 01:45 PM

My Husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at the Westin in January. We stayed in a one bedroom villa and it was very, very nice. I had heard a few bad things about the Westin's service, but we were very happy there and it has beautiful grounds. We actually drove over to Caneel to check out the differences and were glad we stayed at the Westin. The Westins beach isn't as nice as some of the others, but its easy to drive or cab to the other beaches if you want to go that route. We are not hikers either and we loved relaxing by the pool at the Westin. You can also rent dingy boats right on the beach at the Wetins and tool around the North shore beaches...it was $70 for 1/2 day and well worth it! We had a blast and you can pull right up to the beaches with the boat or snorkel etc... <BR> <BR>The Westin is close enough to town too, so you can eat out every night if you want to. Feel free to email me with any questions!

lp Feb 12th, 2001 08:58 AM

We stayed at the Westin last summer. We had a wonderful experience. We were travelling with our two kids and I have to tell you..we were not the only ones there with kids. There were a lot of children at the resort. If I were going alone with my spouse I would have stayed at Caneel Bay. It seemed a little more classy and romantic. I would recommend the Westin and we got a great deal there, however, it is very family-friendly.

wallace Feb 12th, 2001 10:53 AM

Went to the Westin in April 2000. Stayed in the one-bedroom villa. We liked it, but we just used it as a launching point to drive all around the island. If you are looking for a more relaxed vacation where you are pampered, Caneel Bay is the place on St. John. The Westin is more of a "run of the mill" hotel...nice, but really not anything out fo the ordinary or romantic.

Sandy Feb 13th, 2001 08:26 AM

Thank you all for your replies, they were all very helpful. Believe it or not, we have changed our plans and are now thinking about St. Lucia Sandals Golf & Spa or really splurging and going to St. Barths. To be continued, chime in if you have thoughts! : )