St Eustatius from St Maarten?

Oct 13th, 2002, 03:41 PM
St Eustatius from St Maarten?

I am looking into planning a trip for my boyfriend, which actually is his Christmas gift. He loves to Snorkel, and I found this great island -- St. Eustatius that looks like it has great snorkeling! My thing is that it might just be too quite for us. I am 26, he is 30. I have noticed that this is about 40 miles from St. Maarten. I do see that you can take a flight, however, I am not crazy (nor he) about those "puddle jumpers".
Does anyone know if you can take a boat and do a day trip or just an overnight? Again, I do know the distance, but excuse me for my ignorance, as I do not know how long it takes you to travel in a boat for 40 miles!
Your help is appreciated! Thanks!!
Also, any other suggestions on islands would be appreciated - looking for great snorkeling and decent night life, good food!
Oct 16th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Hi Erica,

It is not advisable to take a boat from St. Maarten to St. Eustatius because it is too far and the ride is very long depending on the seas. The WinAir flight is very safe and is only a 15 minute trip.

Yes, St. Eustatius is quiet, but has a lot to offer, especially for a day or overnight trip. There is a lot of history, snorkeling, diving, hiking, nature, etc. If your boyfriend loves to snorkel, he might appreciate a Discover Scuba course which would include a short scuba lesson, a shallow 30 foot dive, and a one year certification for dives up to 40 feet.

I would suggest that if you enjoy a lot of nightlife and varied restauraunts, spend most of your trip on St. Maarten and make St. Eustatius a one or two day portion of it. You could also include a day trip to the island of Saba, as well, another Caribbean gem.

Let me know if I can be of more help. Good luck.

Search this Thread