St. Croix - Buccaneer with a toddler?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to St. Croix the last week of August and are leaning towards the Buccaneer Resort. Our daughter will have just turned two and is supposedly welcome to attend the kid camp activities as long as one of us goes with her. I read some mixed reviews about the kid camp activities - any recent updates?

Also, we are debating between the family cottage suites and the deluxe oceanfront. Obviously there is a big difference in location. Are the deluxe oceanfronts still old/tired? Any other considerations?

Also, has anyone used the cribs there? Were they safe?

Any other info. appreciated as well!

Thanks.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM

Bumping in hopes that ccrosner sees this. She is very expert on the Bucanneer. Have a lovely vacation.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:33 AM

Dear three hearts,

Thanks for the compliments about me being the Buccaneer expert. I was actually hesitating to answer the OP thinking that Fodorites are sick of hearing from me about the Buccaneer

I can't really comment on the kids camp as my kids are not willing to attend (all about them and not about the camp). Personally, I don't see why you'd want to go to the camp with your child--you can do all they do (play on the beach, go to the pool, catch geckos) without them intruding. And many of the things they do would be for older kids (basketball, etc.).

I'm not sure I would spend the money on the Family Cottage if it's just you and your child. They are my favorite accommodation for my family of four because we like having separate rooms (different sleeping schedules). If you don't mind having your child share a room with you (and, yes, the cribs are safe), I would choose the deluxe oceanfront rooms. Ask for one between the Mermaid Beach and the Grotto Pool and you will have the convenience of walking to either. The rooms, I believe, have been updated--on the order of a nice Marriott--and have the benefit of being on the water's edge (with a stone wall to prevent any toddler mishaps).

Be sure to get off the property for dinner. All Christiansted restaurants welcome kids (I would suggest Rumrunners, Duggans--East End, Tutto Bene, and Kendricks--if he/she is well-behaved) and the Terrace room gets pricey and routine.

Write again in August (I'm not near a computer in July) and I'll give you particulars about staff, activities, etc.). You will love the Buccaneer as long as you are looking for low-key, friendly, not Ritz Carlton level.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice. The main reason we were thinking of the Family Cottage suites is that we wouldn't have to tip-toe around the room and could watch TV and stuff while she was napping and at night (in the other room). It's a hard trade-off though with the oceanfront rooms.

And yes, we're looking for low-key and friendly rather than fancy. I'm hoping that we don't feel the need to travel off the resort too much (not sure how to handle the car seat issue...perhaps the hotel shuttle will indulge us and let us use ours and keep it in the shuttle until we get picked up).

I will be sure to write again in August!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM

Go for the family cottage...if you want to watch t.v. and let her nap, etc. it will be worth the tradeoff of a nicer bathroom. Be sure to ask for Family Cottage room 168 or 170. They are closer to the top of the hill and have the fabulous view out toward the water. One of my favorite times of the year is sitting out on my Room 168 patio with a cup of coffee watching the day begin!

As for the car seat issue...you won't use the shuttle for going to town for dinner. You would use the cab's fleet of taxis. It's a great system where the same driver who takes you to your dinner spot will return to pick you up and then you pay him. You just call the hotel when you get the dinner bill and they arrive--almost always very promptly. So I would think that Bachelor or 007 or Mr. Lett or Venice would be happy to hold onto your car seat. They are great men! The cabs from the airport are different.

Happy planning
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, ccrosner. That's nice to know about which rooms to request and the cab situation.

Many thanks.