Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Croix- anyone interested in sharing a deep sea fishing charter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be on STX 12/20-12/27. My dad, brother and husband are planning on going deep sea fishing one day. We've contacted Bunny and others... prices are around $500-700 for up to six people. We were thinking, if they could find 2-3 more people to split the price, it would make it a much more reasonable outing
If interested, please reply to this post!
Also, as there may not be anyone "on island" 12/20-27, does anyone have a suggestion on how to recruit more fishers? Or suggestions for other deep sea charters? THANKS!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 04:57 AM

I wish I could join you! You might try your post on the discussion forums of www.marlinmag.com, and on Trip Advisor. Good luck finding more people, and tight lines!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Fishing off the STX shores reminds me of the 35 lb Mahi Mahi I caught off the north shore. It was the only fish we caught that day, but it was an exciting day! We charted a boat off out of Green Cay that day.

It reminds me of another event I witnessed while enjoying a couple of Heinekens and a plate of fried Calamari at Duggan's. We watched a small boat come into shore with a 100 lb Wahoo. A couple of West Indian men had caught the fish with a hand line and brought it to shore to sell to the restaurant. Needless to say, we came back that night for dinner!
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 12:54 AM

My experience with deep sea fishing is that you don't want too many fishers on the boat. You want time to play the fish while you are out there. The more people, the more confusion and hard to manoever. Stick with the 3 of them. If that is a full day rate - it is a bargain, however, I assume it is half day.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts.. I believe the price is for maybe 5 hours....
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 12:27 AM

$500 is pretty reasonable for 5 hours. Depending on how long it takes to get to your destination, it should give you 3 good hours of fishing. If they haven't been fishing before, it can get very tiring, especially in the hot sun. Make sure if the boat isn't equipped with beverages, they take lots of water with them, sunscreen, a hat and especially sunglasses as your eyes can get "burned" off the reflection of the water.

My husband recently went fishing in Bermuda for the day. I think the price was around $1,000 - out at 8 and back at 5. They got to keep some of the fish and the captain sold the rest. The wahoo was some of the best I have cooked! We froze it and brought it home with us.