Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St. Croix Accommodation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-croix-accommodation-27839/)

Gilead Lombroso Jun 28th, 1998 05:53 PM

St. Croix Accommodation

I'll be taking a vacation on St. croix from 03/12/99 to 03/19/99 and have no idea where to stay. <BR>I would like to be on the beach close to Christianstead. I'll be staying with my wife and son 8 years old. <BR>Thanks

Jean E. Bowers Jun 29th, 1998 06:17 AM

You did not say if you are looking for a hotel or condo. There are several places on the water. There is a hotel on the little island right off Christiansted. St. Croix By the Sea, Buccaneer,and Hibiscus are a few of the hotels right on a beach. St. Croix by the Sea being the closest to downtown. Condo rentals are at Mill Harbor, Sugar Beach, Colony Cove and Club St. Croix are also on the beach about 2 miles from Christainsted. Because of the high food costs I think a condo could be the way to go for your family. You are going in high season, and doing breakfast and lunch yourself could make this trip more affordable. All of the condo properties have at least two bedroom units. They are fully stocked and all you have to buy is food. It is a hike to the grocery, but a taxi stand on the store property makes getting back a breeze. Plan on everything being at least double to the U.S. price. St. Croix is a beautiful island and March is a great time to visit. When hiring a taxi establish price before getting in. I lived on the island years ago. If you would like any other info. do not hesitate to ask me. <BR>

Gilead Lombroso Jun 29th, 1998 06:36 AM

Thank you very much for the info regarding stay on St. Croix. I'll be checking all resorts on the Internet. <BR> <BR>Gilead Lombroso

Mare Jun 29th, 1998 09:24 AM

If money is no object, definetely recommend the Buccaneer. It is a closed resort with private beaches, superb dining, etc. Has tennis, golf, shuffle board, horse back riding and water sports right there. Fine with kids. Let me know if you want more info.

L.Natalino Aug 8th, 1998 07:42 PM

In response to your question, we just came back from St Croix yesterday our first trip there and to be perfectly honest I would not go back again. The hotel the person was trying to tell you about is the Hotel on the Cay, it's on a tiny Island 1 minute across fron Christensted. One fact that no one will tell you is that St Croix's economy is crushed. The hurricanes that had hit the island had destroyed property and most of the beaches. You will find like we did no sugar white sand beaches instead you will find mostly rocky beaches and not much of the perfect blue water that is shown in the brochures. Also because the economy is in bad shape you will find most of the homes out there with elaborate alarm systems or iron grating on windows , porches and doors. The Cruzans are reserved people and there dislike for " americans" is very much noted to the point of downright rudeness in some instances, please take all brochures with a grain of salt and keep your eyes open at all times.

Bob Morton Aug 9th, 1998 04:05 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Hibiscus Beach Hotel on St. Croix several years ago. Great beach and friendly people. Rented a car and toured the island, including the rain forest, which is actually a subtropical rain forest, but interesting. Next to the Hibiscus hotel was a vet who raised race horses. The natives would exercise the horses in the sand and have them swim in the ocean for strength building. Even the brother of the famous race horse "Seattle Slew" was one of them. My wife loves to ride horses(we have three quarter horses) and simply asked one of the natives if she could ride the horse. he said, Why Not", and she rode the race horse all morning long up and down the beaches for free(I gave the guy $20 even though he didn't ask for it). That's an example of their friendliness. Interesting island to explore with 4-wheeled vehicle. Have fun. bob

Ginger Aug 9th, 1998 05:52 PM

We went to St. Croix last September with our son and stayed at the Buccaneer and had a great time. When we were there, breakfast was included with the price of our room. I'm not sure if this is something they normally do or was just a special they were running. The hotel was very nice with a nice beach and just a short drive from Christianstead. I would definately go back. If you scuba dive, try Anchor Dive Shop - they keep their groups small and do a great job of showing you things you might not see. The night dives were great. <BR>