Reload this Page >

down to the wire - ottleys's or golden lemon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 03:36 PM
pln

Okay - it is down to the wire adn time for us to make the final choie for our 25th anniversary destination. After LOTS and LOTS of research we have narrowed the choices down to the Golden Lemon and Ottley's. From everything I have read here, we cannot go wrong with either choice.<BR><BR>However - if anyone has a preference for one over the other, I'd like to hear your reasons. Thanks!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:49 AM
mark

The Golden Lemon is on the water and Ottley's is not.<BR>Both are exceedingly nice!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Island Girl

I haven't stayed at Golden Lemon -- I can only speak for Ottley's. It was wonderful. I thought I would miss being on a beach but I didn't. Unless, you rent a car, you will be pretty much stuck at both resorts since they are somewhat isolated. (Ottley's will shuttle you to the beach or into town). I know Golden Lemon comes highly recommended. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, it comes down to personal choice. Ottley's has expansive grounds with lovely views of the mountain and the sea. Golden Lemon is a little more compact. A word on beaches: St. Kitts doesn't have the picture-perfect white-sand beaches as some other islands. The nice beaches are all on the southern part of the island where there are no resorts. If you want anymore info, feel free to ask.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:58 AM
ptjh

Golden Lemon!! I stayed there a couple of years ago. The service was great.<BR>Rooms were big and we had a private pool

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:31 PM
pln

We are looking at the private pool option - which they both offer. Did any of you have the opprtunity to eat off-site from where you stayed? Are the only options the other resorts (RAwin's, etc.)? Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Island Girl

Our package at Ottley's included 5 dinners, so we ate out for two: The Fisherman's Wharf at the Ocean Terrace Hotel (casual but nice) and Balahoo's in Basseterre which was really nice (we went back there for lunch). We also ate at Sunshines for lunch when we went to Nevis (their Killer Bees are LETHAL). It's hard to get out at night from either resort because the roads are not lit well. Rawlins is more accessible from Golden Lemon.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:26 AM
sidney

Ottley's gets my vote, no question. The grounds are magnificent, the ocean views from the upper deck of the great house, or under the Banyan tree on the hill while relaxing in the planter's chairs (pool as well) are breathtaking. The perfect service complements the perfect food. The hosts are warm and inviting (Karen and Marty are just wonderful). The grounds have incredible plantings and gardens, as well as a path down into the rainforest which is nestled at the base of Mt. Liamigua (stands behind Ottley's). Our room, #9 in the great house afforded us wonderful privacy with backyard views that were so rich and settling. The room was large and perfectly decorated in British-Dutch Colonial style. Ottley's has incredible packages to choose from, my suggestion is to indulge and splurge for a cottage w/private plunge pool. As I said before, the food is amazing, drinks wonderful, and the complimentary cocktails/eats on Wed eve. is a nice touch. Visiting Rawlin's for an authentic West-Indian buffet (what a spread!) for lunch one day is a must. My husband and I went in July and were the only two seated for the buffet, it was magnificent. A car rental is a must to fully enjoy the quieter side of the island and the beaches there, as well as Basseterre. Ottley's shuttle to town and beaches is great for when you don't want to venture out yourself.<BR><BR>Make it Ottley's, we are planning our second trip back for our 5th anniversary. You will NOT be disappointed.