Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > St Barths - Transportation Tips - Getting Around The Island
Notices

St Barths - Transportation Tips - Getting Around The Island

Oct 9th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

St Barths - Transportation Tips - Getting Around The Island

My wife and I will be vacationing with another couple on St Barths in January. We have rented a villa for the week. The rental company "strongly suggests" we get a rental car, but we know we will very likely be consuming alcohol most days and are concerned about diving.

Has anyone engaged a car service or just used taxis to get around? I don't mind renting a car for a day or two to tour the island, but I would prefer not to have to drive when we go out to dinner, drink, party, etc.

If taxis are available, how readily?

Can you engage a car service for priority pick up throughout a week? Any idea on cost?
Oct 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM

I hope your villa is in Gustavia. It is very difficult getting a taxi unless you are in Gustavia and there is a cruise ship in town. There are taxi services you can call, and VIP services that can hook you up with a driver at your call for the week. If money is not an option, you can do it pretty easily. It will not be inexpensive though. I've only paid for a taxi ride once, and it was from our villa in Gustavia to Le Ti, a restaurant 15 minutes away. 120 euros round trip.
Oct 31st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the information. Money is always an issue so we will be renting a car as suggested.

Search this Thread