Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St Barths snorkeling options?-I know, I know, but still...

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am headed to St Barths on Sunday and I know that the island isn't known for snorkeling. However, since I'm going, are there any spots you would recommend, or should I just leave the snorkel gear at home? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:09 PM

We went out on a catamaran that we chartered thru Village St. Jean (it was HUGE -- 4 people live on it). They took us to fabulous snorkeling places!!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:02 AM

By boat: there are good 1/2-day snorkeling trips available through Marine Service (Gustavia), to Colombier and to Isle Fourchue (I took that one and had a great time).
From shore: there is pretty snorkeling off the beach at Anse de L'Orient, where sea turtles are sometimes spotted. Another excellent spot, full of reefs, is La Petite Anse, though sometimes the water is rough there and at other times it is perfect. You can also snorkel at the rocks at either end of Anse Colombier, and at the rocks at the far left side of Anse de Grande Saline.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul, this is exactly the sort of reply I was hoping to see. I appreciate your help!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Julie,

I was on ST. Barth a few years ago, staying in the Petite harbour area, can't remember the correct name. We snorkled right off the beach and saw tons of fish, coral and more. One angel fish loved my bathing suit and tried to chew on it. lol.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:01 AM

We kept our snorkeling gear with us whenever we were on the beach. We stayed in the Grand Cul deSac and snorkled right off the beach there. It was fun until I saw an eel. We also snorkeled near Eden Roc in St. Jean. Lots to see. Finally we took a snorkeling catamaran from Gustavia. We went snorkeling off a private island. Beautiful! Enjoy your trip. Wish I were going with you instead of sitting in 35 inches of snow outside D.C.!