Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   St Barths or Nevis - Which would you choose? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-barths-or-nevis-which-would-you-choose-188993/)

lrjones Jan 5th, 2004 06:16 AM

St Barths or Nevis - Which would you choose?

We are taking a family vacation for one week in March. I have really struggled with price and location. We have found some wonderful properties on Nevis and also one on St Barths that are in our price range. Which island would you choose for beauty, beaches, activities, people? Thanks so much.

Statia Jan 5th, 2004 07:11 AM

They are both very different islands offering different things. What type of vacation are you looking for? How many people and what ages are you?

St. Barth's is more upscale, chic and expensive, while Nevis is a bit more laid back, quiet and rugged.

lrjones Jan 5th, 2004 08:32 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We are travelling with our sons ages 6 and 7. We are looking at a small two bedroom cottage on St. Barths and are looking at Nisbet Plantation or Hermitage on Nevis. Is St. Barths unreasonally expensive in respect to food and drink? We are going to have a small kitchen in St Barths so can make some of our own stuff. My husband really wanted a lush island but Nevis doesn't seem to have great beaches. Any opinions? Everyone seems to agree that the people on Nevis are wonderful. It also sounds like Nevis would be much less crowded. How about St Barths? At this point, we're leaning toward St Barths, but just want to make the right decision. Thanks again.

Statia Jan 5th, 2004 08:39 AM

It sounds as if you would prefer St. Barth's. The island is quite expensive, but you can do it more affordably if you have a kitchenette and eat some meals in.

SusanBL Jan 16th, 2004 11:32 AM

I LOVE Nevis but have never been to St. Barths. Either Nisbet or Hermitage would be great choices and if you choose the right cottage at The Hermitage, you may be able to make some of your meals in. We did meet a couple that were regular visitors to St. Barths and this year decided that it was too expensive and gave Nevis a try. They loved it as well and plan to return next year.
Nisbet is the most beautiful beach on the island but Pinneys beach is a favorite of ours. Some of the best food on the island is served at Sunshines and very reasonably priced.
If you need two bedrooms, you might also want to check out The Old Manor website. They have a beautiful cottage that sits just at the base of Mt. Nevis and steps from their beautiful pool. It has a full kitchen, deck, and my favorite restaurant on the island. Check it out!

SusanBL Jan 17th, 2004 09:10 AM

If you want to see what the Old Manor Cottage looks like, check out zoomandgo.com. caribbean/nevis/old manor...

Robrook Jan 17th, 2004 03:54 PM

What's with these people who say "I've heard the beaches on Nevis aren't that great."

I don't know what more you can want. Nevis is probably one the nicest islands in the Caribbean. There ARE great beaches on Nevis. Maybe people say that to keep others away. Oh I get it.