Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Spring Break in the Caribbean for mom(s) & Daughter(s) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/spring-break-in-the-caribbean-for-mom-s-and-daughter-s-810001/)

silver1me Oct 12th, 2009 02:57 PM

Spring Break in the Caribbean for mom(s) & Daughter(s)

My 20 year old daughter and her college roommate are planning a spring break with their moms in the Caribbean. Any recommendations? We are looking for beaches during the day and the girls want to be able to go out at night and enjoy the nightlife.
We have been to St. Thomas, Mexico & Aruba.... Looking for somewhere we have never been but of course are concerned about safety as well.

virginia Oct 13th, 2009 04:30 AM

you don't say where is mexico you've been but i'd look at cozumel for your break. some good ai's just south of town.
you'll get more specific ideas if you'll tell us your budget and a bit more about what activities interest you. what did you like/dislike about the places you've already been?

silver1me Oct 18th, 2009 10:59 AM

Virginia - thanks for replying. For some reason my daughter has got it in her mind that Mexico is out and not safe. Not sure that is really true but I figured I wouldn't fight it and look for other locations.
We have been to St. Thomas, The Bahamas, St. John. Enjoyed all. Looking for beaches, shopping, fun night clubs/pubs/ bars for evening. We love people and learning the culture/sightseeing, etc.
Don't really have a set budget ... Not looking for "top of the line" - just safe, clean & fun. Any ideas?

KVR Oct 18th, 2009 01:44 PM

The tourist areas of Mexico are definitely safe. I would suggest The Royal Playa del Carmen. Very nice AI resort with good food and a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue. Tons of restaurants, bars, entertainment and shopping. I also agree with Cozumel. We are heading back in December. San Miguel is a cute town with restuarants, bars and shopping. The snorkeling is great. It's more low key than 5th Avenue in Playa.

I would also suggest Grand Cayman. 7 Mile Beach is great. Not too much nightlife, but there is a Margartiville and a few beach bars. Georgetwon has some cute shops. Just stay away when there are cruise ships docked.

virginia Oct 18th, 2009 03:34 PM

i agree with your dd - there are unsafe places in mexico - the maya riviera is not really one of those places. however, it's vacation not civics class so she'll go later perhpas. def not worth trying to change her mind.
good answer kvr. grand cayman would make an excellent choice. nice beach, variety of lodging options, tons of restaurants, fun shopping, and some nightlife. i can't say i think there is a lot of culture to explore as it's fairly americanized - moms will feel comfortable if girls are out at night.
nice botanical garden, drive out to rum point, snorkel stingray city (& loads of other places), good beaches.
or perhaps st. marteen. many dining options, shopping, nightlife.

KVR Oct 18th, 2009 05:14 PM

I'm going to throw Barbardos out there also. Haven't been yet, but Holetown and the Gap have good nightlife. Shopping in Bridgetown. Good beaches and snorkeling.

ejcrowe Oct 18th, 2009 06:33 PM

I would think that Negil, Jamaica, would be a good choice for your group. Beautiful, white sand beach stretching for miles (and beyond the beach are the cliffs), tons of beach bars, plenty of live music nightlife for the younger set.