Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Split Trip St. Thomas/St. John: What to do first? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/split-trip-st-thomas-st-john-what-to-do-first-474512/)

goracers Sep 15th, 2004 07:06 PM

Split Trip St. Thomas/St. John: What to do first?

We are going to the VI in January, and are staying at Caneel for 5 days, then Marriott for 4 more. Any recommendations on the right order? I had planned on the Marriott at the end, just to be closer to the airport, which would give me more time on the beach. But that means getting to Caneel later on the day we arrive. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

Dianebridle Sep 16th, 2004 03:44 AM

I have done a Marriott Morningstar/Caneel split on several occasions and prefer Caneel last for several reasons:
1. Since it takes longer to get to Caneel, you will have more daylight hours to enjoy the beach for your first night's stay.
2. I like to save the 'best' for last. Caneel' beaches, snorkeling and swimming are much superior to that of the Marriott.

3. Caneel knows airlins depature schedule and are excellent in returning their guests for departure time. Unless you have an early moring departure, you will have time to enjoy the beach that morning.

I greatly recommendusing Caneel's airport transfer service. Planning your own requires taxies on both St. Thomas and Cruz Bay in addition to the hastle of wrestling your luggage to a public ferry and from Caneel's parking area to check-in, which is very long walk. The savings is minor and not worth the stress.

You will enjoy your trip. Both properties are lovely, but Caneel's beaches are beyond compare.
Have a great trip. I am in my seven week countdown for my trip to Caneel.

owa Sep 16th, 2004 05:34 AM

Dianebridle, When exactly are you going to be at Caneel? We will be there 3-10 November. It would be great to meet you. Owa

goracers Sep 16th, 2004 12:37 PM

Dianebridle,
Great idea. I changed my reservation around. Did have a question on the transportation provided by Caneel. Will they pick you up at the Marriott, or do you cab it to their ferry?
Thanks!

Dianebridle Sep 16th, 2004 03:37 PM

To Owa, I will arrive at Caneel November 4 for six nights so we will be there at the same time. Hope we can meet. I have requested Hawksnest. Leave a message for Diane H. from Hillsboro at the desk. Caneel will have a driver pick you up from the Marriott. They will take very good care of you. Call Caneel afew days before to make arangements. You may want to leave in order to catch their noonish scheduled boat ride, so that you have more time to enjoy the beach. Even if your room is not ready, you can use their changing rooms. They will take care of your luggage.

A suggestion for your Marriott stay. The oceanside walk between Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Beach is unbelivably gorgeous. Many camera opportunities.

Hope to see you at Caneel.