Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Split between Caneel/Little Dix Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/split-between-caneel-little-dix-bay-421441/)

missrocco Apr 12th, 2004 06:42 AM

Split between Caneel/Little Dix Bay

We are planning to travel to St. John for 10 nights in June. As someone who tends to get a little bit restless after too long in one spot, I'm wondering if there is enough to do St. John to keep us occupied for that length of time or whether we should spend 3 or 4 nights on a different island--perhaps at Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has done a split trip.

Also, how difficult is it to get from one island to the next? Would I need to rent a car on both islands? Is 3 or 4 nights long enough to enjoy a stay on Virgin Gorda? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Dianebridle Apr 12th, 2004 09:22 AM

I have been to Caneel multiple times and have done Little Dix as a day trip once. If you have ten days, a split would be wonderful and easy. Since both resorts are operated by Rosewood, their private launch will transport you from one to the other with no additional costs or worry about luggage handling. It is a beautiful scenic one hour plus commute between the two resorts. Both are beautiful, but different from one another. While Caneel has seven beaches and more spacious grounds, Little Dix is located on a very large, private white sand beach. I would do a minimum of four nights on either island, since part of a day will be lost to commuting. I think this would be ideal, especially if you tend to get restless in one spot.

Have a terrific trip. It sounds great!

missrocco Apr 12th, 2004 09:28 AM

Thanks! Anyone have any thoughts on the car rental issue?

Dianebridle Apr 12th, 2004 09:37 AM

Sorry, I forgot about the car rental. Since Caneel is so self contained and has so many beautiful beaches to explore, a car is unnecessary unless you wish to spend a day exploring the rest of the island. Taxi-fare to Cruz Bay is approximately $3/person and other land and sea trips can be arranged through Caneel.

Since my Little Dix experience is limited, I cannot help with a car suggestion there; however, it is my understanding that their launch will take you to othwer spots to snorkel.

slk230 Apr 12th, 2004 10:48 AM

We did the split between Caneel and Little Dix a couple of years ago. We were very glad we did. While Caneel does have several nice beaches and St John's has some wonderful sights, we really loved Little Dix Bay. In fact we are returning next month.

Obviously it all depends on preference, but we were there for sailing and snorkeling and LDB was far superior. We rented a car on St John but not at LDB. LDB, in addition to a beautiful beach, will water taxi you (free) to any of 9 different beach sites on the island. The other reason that we did not rent at LDB is that we were on a meal plan. Other than eating off site, there isn't much need to rent.

This trip, we are not getting the meal plan and will be renting a car for a few days to hit the local restuarants.

sharky23 Apr 13th, 2004 10:42 AM

I'll be splitting time betwween the wo on my honeymoon this august. I was told by rosewood that the launches between the islands are not complimentary and cost a pretty penny -you might want to look into this. Werequested and suppossedly received a discount for our honeymoon.

slk230 Apr 13th, 2004 11:27 AM

When we went in 1999, they offered a "island hopper" package that included all transfers, including between the two resorts. Since it was a package price, I have no idea what it costs for the transfer. I'm sure we paid for it though.

missrocco Apr 13th, 2004 06:13 PM

This is great advice, thanks. I did speak to the Rosewood people about the transfer . . . the boat goes between STJ and VG only on MWF. (Unfortunately i forgot to ask how much!) Also, became the boat returns to STJ rather late on those days (around 430 she said) I'd either have to fly out of VG, spend the night in STJ/STT or get a late flight out of STT that day. In light of all this, I'm not sure whether it is worth it. (Plus, I'm finding much better rates at Caneel than Little Dix, for some reason.)

Would we be bored spending 10d on STJ? I tend to get restless . . . how easy is it to hop from STJ to another island like STT or VG for a day trip?

Dianebridle Apr 13th, 2004 10:51 PM

Caneel has a couple of day trips to the BVI. One is a day trip to Little Dix from where you can taxi to the Baths, tour the island, or enjoy the beautiful beach at Little Dix. - A good way to get a feel for the resort. Cost is approximately $50/person. Also available is an outstanding 4 BVI island snorkeling trip. It was the best snorkeling experience I have ever had. I can't remember the price. Also available is a beach barbeque, where their boat takes you to a private spot for snorkeling and lunch. Another day snorkeling trip with a naturalist is also available. No charge kayaks and other water toys are also available. They can also arrange hiking and snorkeling trips into the National Park. Shopping at the small, individual shops and eating at The Lime Inn, the barbeque place on the corner and other fine restaurants in Cruz Bay is also fun.

Everyone is different, but I never get bored and find that there is never time to do everything much less explore all of their beaches in my seven to nine day stays. But then, it gives me an excuse to return to do what I have missed.

sharky23 Apr 14th, 2004 06:06 AM

just to give a sample itinerary, this is what we're doing.

Arriving Beef island/tortola on a sunday afternoon in august - greeted by LDB and taken to VG on ferry.
5 nights LDB.

Take ferry on Friday (true, they only run MWF)check in to Caneel for 4 nights. Leave for STT on a Tuesday for flight home.

Both resorts offer a bed and breakfast plan for the summer that is less expensive than standard rates! That way, at least one meal is covered and you have the option to eat elsewhere.

Ferry fees that I have been given:

Beef Island to LDB -$75 PP R/T (We recievd half-price sinnce we're only going one way).

$65 PP Caneel to St Thomas (they included the transfer from LDB to Caneel in this cost)

Not cheap!

jkurtiak Apr 14th, 2004 09:55 AM

there are other ferries that operate between both locations so you do not need to just rely on their transfer.

We are flying into St. Thomas being met and taken to Caneel, going to LIttle Dix and then taking a ferry to tortola to get home.
We got the transfers free from my travel agent friend. BUt if you get any good book on the islands it lists the other ferry schedules.

Renting a car in Caneel, not in Little Dix. Plan to take have resort drop us off via water to snorkel spots on VG

missrocco Apr 14th, 2004 10:07 AM

This is really helpful, thanks. Any idea how to arrange for transfers to Caneel from STT on the day of arrival? Can I just hop on a ferry or do I need to make arrangements ahead of time?

JuneAnn Apr 14th, 2004 02:47 PM

I think that St. John has much more to do and see than VG. When we vacation on St. John we usually plan day trips to VG, Tortola and St. Thomas. We took the ferry to VG and found that many taxi's were waiting, offering reasonably priced day tours..lunch, swimming and snorkeling. It was fabulous. On Tortola we had arranged to rent a jeep which was fun as the road over the mountain was a challenging drive. We did our own tour and went snorkeling also. Of course on St. Thomas we went shopping, walking and had a wonderful lunch. On the days we stayed on St. John we rented a car and visited as many beaches as possible. If you stay put at Caneel Bay you will miss out on the experience of St. John. The National Parks Department runs wonderful hikes and round the island snorkeling tours. One year we stayed on VG and rented a villa. It was beautiful but much less to do, even though LDB is lovely.

Dianebridle Apr 14th, 2004 09:32 PM

I took the public ferry on my first Caneel stay. - Never again! At first look $65 may seem pricey, but if you consider the costs of the taxi fare/tips to the ferry, plus the cost of the ferry and wrestling with your luggage while boarding the ferry, plus the taxi cost from Cruz Bay to Caneel, added to that unlimited trips to St. Thomas, it is certainly worth the price. There is something to be said about leaving your luggage at the Caneel desk at the airport, not having to deal with your luggage until you arrive in your room, boarding their van (also included in the price, which takes you to their private boat. Once on board you are greeted with unlimited rum punch and upon dock arrival hot clothes to wipe your hands; you know your vacation has indeed begun and in a most relaxing manner.

JuneAnn Apr 15th, 2004 08:23 AM

I've heard that the 'Caneel way' is luxurious, however, we did not want to feel insulated from the island. We loved the ferry over and the St. John taxi's and shuttle buses. We met wonderful people. We rented a jeep and explored the entire island..it is beautiful. At night we went out dancing and found our way to local parties. We felt the presence of St. John rather than just a resort. I always feel that I have to make that decision, whether to be carless in a resort or out and about exploring an island. It's a personal decision.

RichF Apr 15th, 2004 03:17 PM

Which of these two resorts have the prettier beach? I've been to Caneel Bay, and of the 7 beaches on property the main beach 'Caneel Bay', is incredibly calm and beautiful. However, I've heard a lot of great things about Little Dix's beach.

MightyIsis Apr 15th, 2004 03:45 PM

I really think that dianebridle meant to say "hot cloths to wipe your hands" For transport to Caneel from STT, make those arrangements when you make your reservations through Rosewood, or your travel agent or however you are booking this trip.