Reload this Page >

Special Treat in the Grenadines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Lucy

My husband and I are chartering for 10 days in early December out of St Vincent, and afterwards I'd like to take him to somewhere really special for 4 nights or so, to get our feet back on firm ground, and let him recover from my cooking. We'll have been on our own for 10 days, so I'm thinking we'd like somewhere that isn't an 'all island' resort.I'm considering The Cotton House and Firefly on Mustique, The Old Fort and Spring on Bequia, and Carribee Inn on Carriacou. I'd love to hear from anyone who's stayed in these and has an opinion - good bad or otherwise - or any special recommendations.<BR>Many Thanks!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:49 PM
curiousx

All of these are excellent choices although I have heard some criticism of the Caribbee Inn - seems some people find the management 'stand-offish'. This wasn&Egrave;t my experience, however. <BR><BR>The Old Fort in Bequia is being run by a young British couple although the owner, Othmar, keeps a sharp eye to make sure his high standards are maintained. The people I ran into staying there in June raved about it. <BR><BR>Personally I would nix Cotton House (for the more dollars than sense crowd. <BR><BR>Spring on Bequia is a personal favourite. Beautiful pool, beautiful surroundings. <BR><BR>One caution, all these places are a tad isolated so you will want to go out if you're looking for a lively social scene in the evening. BTW, there aren't many places to go 'out' to in Mustique.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:48 PM
Lucy

Dear Curiousx, Thanks. I'm delighted to hear about Bequia from someone whose actually been there!I was concerned that The Old Fort sounds like its a hike and a half from the beach, and I did read that the beach at Spring wasn't great for swimming ( but this might be hooey).I realise these places are all a little isolated, which is fine since we don't care about nightlife much, but would rather hear the breakers and the peepers.I was drawn to Mustique because the island itself does look lovely, although I think you're probably right about The Cotton House - I wonder though, about Firefly (which is actually in the same sort of price bracket as Young Island and does include everything but drinks, including minimoke use etc.)Its website is certainly beguiling - I just worry that it might be too, I don't know, celeb... we're not that beautiful!Anyways, Thanks, -Lucy <BR><BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:22 PM
curiousx

Old Fort is indeed a good hike from any beach - however taxis on Bequia are inexpensive and, except for one or two bad apples, very reliable. Most guests at the Old Fort use a driver called Pikey who also lives on that part part the island (known as Mount Pleasant).<BR><BR>The beach near Spring Hotel is not the greatest (your information was correct). As mentioned in my last post, though, the pool is lovely. Also, a short walk up the road is Industry Beach. This beach can be weedy and windy - the trade off is that sea turtles feed in the weeds and the snorkelling on the reef is wonderful.<BR><BR>Firefly is perched on a hill so you have a steep walk or mini-moke ride to the beaches there too. It was celeb-free when I was there, and very friendly. Snorkelling in Mustique is also very good.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful vacation, what3ever you choose

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:33 PM
anon

check www.luxurylink.com for the Cotton House offer. Might fit your schedule.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:59 AM
beach lover

if you can make it down to grenada (1 1/2 hours by ferry from carriacou) i would recommend laluna, on morne rouge beach right next to grand anse beach. it is lovely: www.laluna.com

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Erma

Lucy,<BR><BR>I know you are going to enjoy the 10 days on the boat and see many beautiful islands. I can comment on The Old Fort on Bequia...stayed there in March with my husband and loved it so much I went back with a friend in June. Based on my two trips I would strongly recommend staying at The Old Fort. The Mt. Pleasant area of the island is very nice for walking and also hiking to deserted beaches. The views are fantastic and there is always a cooling breeze in the area to keep it nice. Ian and Fiona take care of everything and you will feel like a very special guest-I just could not say enough about how they are running the Inn except to say they spoiled me rotten and made us feel like family from day one! Otmar is around for great stories about the island over the past 30 years-be sure and walk down toward the point his cottage is located for a peaceful moment. If you stay there ask for the upstairs room-best views and my favorite by far. The Old Fort is not right on a beach but we really liked being on the "mountain" and enjoyed the variety of beaches. Ravine and Hope are only a hike away; Friendship Bay and Adams Bay/Moonhole (this one is my favorite) for a day that you rent a Moke or Jeep; Lower Bay for anytime. We never went to Spring beach because it just didn’t appeal to us….and can't comment on Spring on Bequia-never saw the rooms, etc. I know though that I would not want to stay on that part of the island-to each is own-I just prefer the Mt. Pleasant area. Great walk around the “loop” in the mornings with a breeze and beautiful views. We really liked the walk into town from the Old Fort and if we didn't want to walk back Pikey (best taxi driver on the island!) would come retrieve us! Never a problem to get around the island. We had considered the Firefly for a trip last year and just decided that it wasn’t for us...much prefer the low key life on Bequia and the feeling like you are part of the community. Have a great trip and let me know if you any other questions. Ian will also help out if you shoot him an email. Regards, Erma<BR>