Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Spa, Food, Fun in Bermuda HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/spa-food-fun-in-bermuda-help-748267/)

Misnatalie Nov 12th, 2007 06:22 PM

Spa, Food, Fun in Bermuda HELP

I'm taking a short trip to Bermuda to celebrate my anniversary. I will be going in January and love SPA treatments, Great food, and good wine. My husband is more the beach, water sports kinda guy. I'm soooo torn on where to stay. I will only be there 3 maybe 4 nights. It seems I keep looking at Fairmont Southampton,Cambridge, Pampano, Reefs, and Elbow Beach. PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

mnag Nov 13th, 2007 05:57 AM

We celebrated our 10yr anniversary at Pompano this year and loved it. The service in my opinion was excellent. The views are amazing as well. Pool is ok and the beach itself is a bit small but the water is very shallow for 100s of yards and many different shades of blue. The views from the pool/restaurant and lobby area (just about anywhere on the resort)are amazing. They also have a water sports shop with several toys. The food was good and they have a dinner exchange program with the Reefs and Cambridge which we enjoyed. We got to see the Reefs one night when we went for dinner. Seemed like a beautiful resort as well with spectacular views. Their restaurant on the hillside was great as well. The beach is much longer than Pompano however the water is not calm like it is at pompano. I would pick between these two resorts. i don't think you can go wrong with either. We visited elbow beach as well (not the resort, but the beach through public access) and the beach is long with a few hotels on the same beach. I felt it was a bit crowded.

cmcfong Nov 13th, 2007 08:45 AM

Be sure to check the Bermuda weather, Natalie. It will be off season in January (no crowds anywhere!) and you may find some pretty chilly temps. http://www.weather.bm will be helpful. I mention this not to discourage you but only to make sure your husband is aware this isn't prime beach or watersports time in Bermuda.
I will be going to Pompano next month and I do love it there. But, if you are looking for a great spa experience Willow Stream at the Fairmont Southhampton or Cambridge Beaches would be my recommendation.
Happy anniversary

dudly Nov 13th, 2007 03:57 PM

We spent our 30th Anniv. at Pompano and were pleased with our room in the newer section. The atmosphere was very welcoming. We felt the resort itself was just OK. The beach and pool were a huge dissapointment. The food we felt was fine until we dined at Cambridge. No comparison. Food, atmoshere and service were outstanding. This past Sept. we celebrated our 31st at Cambridge and will return next year. The spa was first class. Pompano was trying hard but imho there was no comparison. Another plus at CB is their indoor pool which in Jan. would be perfect. Also CB feels very intimate which we prefer as opposed to the larger Fairmont and Elbow. Whichever you choose have a wonderful anniversay.

txgirlinbda Nov 14th, 2007 10:02 PM

Misnatalie-
I live here and would be happy to help! Jan isn't going to be watersports season, so don't let him get his hopes up. Willowstream spa at Fairmont Southampton is AMAZING. Cambridge Beaches is great but a little bit out of the way. I can't speak for the spa at Elbow but the property and location are awesome.
While you're here, check out a little wine and tapas bar a block behind the bus station called 'Ten'. And if you can splurge, Ascot's restaurant at the Royal Palms is great.
Michelle
email me if I can help you any more.
[email protected]

Weadles Nov 17th, 2007 06:44 AM

We stayed at The Fairmont Southampton in May. Just below the hotel is a gorgeous beach, which connects to one of the famous pink beaches of Bermuda, but it was chilly in May, so I can only imagine that it will be more so in January!

The hotel itself was just OK. We didn't try the spa, which looked very nice, but the whole place was overrun with conventions and weddings. Food at the restaurants was extremely expensive and not very good.

We went out one night to Ariel Sands for dinner, which was really amazing, with a beautiful view of their beach.

Also had dinner at the Italian restaurant at Elbow Beach, which was quite good.

Hope you have a great time!

LoriS Nov 21st, 2007 07:20 PM

We just returned from a quick trip to Bermuda. It was much too cool to enjoy the beach--although a few people braved the temperatures. The Southampton is a very large hotel. The spa is excellent and there is a large indoor pool and access to outdoor whirlpools. I think you'd be fine with the spa in January, but I doubt if your husband will get much from the beach/watersports at that time.