Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Something like Grande Case, St. Martin ...
Notices

Something like Grande Case, St. Martin ...

Nov 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Something like Grande Case, St. Martin ...

We have a 10 day vacation in May of next year and would like to go somewhere in the Caribbean. We LOVE Grande Case - great restaurants and bars at night, nice beach for the day, lots to do on and near the island. We want something similar - I don't want an all-inclusive, and I don't want to have to drive to dinner (then we can't drink and that defeats the purpose of a vacation!). I want really beautiful sand and perfect water that isn't too rough. And, I don't want to spend $1000 a night. We've been to the Riviera Maya and we like that very much but we're looking to try somewhere different. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks! Oh, NOT Jamaica - the entire island defines SURLY. And, NOT Aruba - too American.
Nov 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM

possibly barbados - somewhere near the gap. lots to do on island, gorgeous beaches, good restaurants & nightlife.
or grand cayman on seven mile beach, has tons of dining options. most daytime to do's are water oriented.
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Sounds like you would really love Anguilla. There are a number of properties with terrific dining in walking distance from lodgings to suit every taste. Look on Mead's Bay and Rendevous Bay.
Nov 7th, 2012, 06:15 AM

Yes, I think The Gap in Barbados is the closest thing to Grand Case in terms of ability to walk to restaurants and have access to good bars, but the food there isn't nearly as good as in Grand Case. If it's cuisine you're looking for, then that's harder. San Juan's Condado district has good restaurants and alot within walking distance, but the beaches aren't nearly as good.

Anguilla may be an option for you. St. Barth might also be an option (not all lodging there is $1000 per night, particularly after the high season, and you may be able to find a little one-bedroom villa near the beach and within walking distance of restaurants (though in truth, a car is really necessary there).

Provo in the Turks & Caicos is also an option. It's expensive, but there are definitely options in the mid-price range and loads of good (though not great) restaurants. And the beaches there are spectacular.

Search this Thread