Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Some help/advice please .... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/some-help-advice-please-153010/)

heather Jul 31st, 2001 06:20 PM

Some help/advice please ....

Hi, I would like to take a trip with my boyfriend to the caribbean islands during the first week of october. First time traveller to the islands and we're confused as to which one to visit. We're both from NY and we've read mixed reviews for each island on many websites. Need help as to which island would be suitable for us, we like sightseeing, shopping, walks. Heard about the horrendous service in the islands. <BR>Please suggest an island for us, and hotel with not too many kids. Much thanks! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Bill Aug 1st, 2001 03:39 AM

We are in upstate NY and travel to St. Kitts often. Have been going there for many years. JFK or Newark to San Juan and American Eagle to St. Kitts. We stay at Timothy Beach Resort. www.timothybeachresort.com. St Kitts is a beautiful layed back island and not commercialized like many others. <BR>

heather Aug 1st, 2001 05:49 AM

Hi Bill, thanks for your response. I'll take it into consideration! Does anyone else have recommendations? <BR> <BR>Thanks much for any help.

Penney Aug 1st, 2001 06:04 AM

I think it also depends on how long you are planning on going. If going for a long weekend, then consider one of the islands that are closer to the states - less time traveled. <BR> <BR>We have been to numerous islands and they really are all wonderful in their own way. We like Jamaica, in particular Negril, for the people are very accomondating, beach is wonderful and you can always find good deals there. <BR> <BR>St. Kitts is a good suggestion - very prettty island but not alot to do off the resort. <BR> <BR>Bahamas has great beaches, wonderful shopping, easy to get to, nice people. <BR> <BR>St. Lucia is incredible! Mountainous island, lush and green! <BR> <BR>Dominican Republic has been up and coming for some time now. You can get really good deals there, beaches are supposed to be great. <BR> <BR>We also loved Puerto Rico - wonderful feel to the island, and Antigua.

heather Aug 1st, 2001 06:28 AM

Hi Penney. Thanks for responding. we are going for 6 days/5 nites. since we live in NYC, we're used to the fast paced environment and we don't want to be disappointed by the lack of service that i've seen in many reviews. I saw <BR>some reviews for St. Bart's. They all seem to be pretty positive. We don't want to stay at the beach all day. We'd like to do island tours, spas, shows, hop around for meals. <BR> <BR>Much thanks for everyone's input!

tim Aug 1st, 2001 06:29 AM

Heather, <BR>You might want to take into consideration the amount of money you want to spend and the type of hotel that you want to go to. <BR> <BR>There are a variety of options at multiple cost levels. Do you want a big glitzy hotel like Atlantis in the Bahamas or a more subtle resort like La Samanna in St. Martin? That may help narrow down your choices. <BR> <BR>There are some Islands that are more expensive than others, St. Barth's for example. At higher end resports the service can be much better. Service in the islands varies the same way that service does at home. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it is not. As a general rule, I think you get what you pay for. If you want a rock-bottom package tour, you shouldn't expoect rock bottom prices. <BR> <BR>You might also want to think about the importance to you of direct flight from New York. If you don't mind a connectiing flight in Puerto Rico or Miami, then any island is reachable. <BR> <BR>The reality is that there are pluses and minuses to each island and each resort. <BR> <BR>There are also some islands that clearly hve a more European flavor. St. Martin and Martinique tend to have a French influence. Does this matter to you? <BR> <BR>You might find the U.S. Virgin Islands to your liking as first Caribbean vacation. St. John's has some really nice resorts and a national park that is great for hiking. St. Croix is also nice. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps clarify your thinking! <BR>

tim Aug 1st, 2001 06:31 AM

Sorry, I can't type. Make that "rock-bottom prices, don't expect high level of service." <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>P.s. I've been to Barbados, St. Croix, St. John's, St. Martin, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, and St. Lucia if you would like feedback on these Islands.

heather Aug 1st, 2001 06:45 AM

Hi Tim. Thanks for responding. We were thinking about spending $1000 pp. Is that a reasonable price for airfare and hotel (not including meals) for 6 days/5 nts.? I'd love to hear about your trip to the islands and which was your favorite by far. <BR> <BR>Thanks to everyone who responded! You've all been a great help.

tweedy Aug 1st, 2001 07:02 AM

Heather, I would suggest getting in touch with a local travel agent. We use Liberty travel on 3rd Ave and 35th St. and they have been very helpful in planning a couple of trips. <BR> <BR>This is the off season in the Carribean so you can get better prices on airfare and hotel and in some cases great package deals that even include your meals. <BR> <BR>You are right about the service in some hotels, but it's more like laid back service and it's called "island time", things just happen slower there. <BR> <BR>If you want suggestions on the Bahamas I would be happy to help, since that is the part of the carribean I know best. <BR> <BR>I have been to Puerto Rico, St. Martin, St. Barth, Guadeloupe, and St. Thomas and continue to go back to the Bahamas, for the ease and choices of hotels and beaches. <BR> <BR>We are headed down in the later part of this month and I can't wait. <BR> <BR>Take care and have a great time. <BR> <BR>tweedy

heather Aug 1st, 2001 07:22 AM

Hi Tweedy! We are traveling during the first week of October. Isn't that hurricane season? Do you know which of the islands won't be affected? I noticed that St. Bart's will be closed during Sept-Oct. due to this. Are most of the Islands closed to tourism during this time? I'd like to get reviews from travellers who have been there first before I go to travel agents. I've spoken to one agent and she kept pushing the more expensive deals without taking into consideration what I wanted to do. The travel agent hasn't even been to where she suggested, yet she based her advice on brochures and the hotel reservations people in the island. How was the Bahamas? I heard Paradise Island, Atlantis wasn't what its cracked up to be. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

sylvester Aug 1st, 2001 07:31 AM

Heather, no island shuts down due to hurrican season. Does NY shut down due to bizzard season? You never can know if and when one will develop. Resorts do use this off season to renovate their properties so you might find some hotels closed or limited services. You will also find some great prices at this time of year. <BR>Go on vacation, enjoy the warm weather and get a fanstasic price. There is a fall Caribbean sale going on right now, time to book!!

heather Aug 1st, 2001 08:00 AM

Hi Sylvester! Sorry, but I didn't mean it as the island shuts down during hurricane season, i meant the resort closes and so does some of the restaurants.

freewoman Aug 1st, 2001 08:15 AM

Even though all of the Caribbean is subject to hurricanes, the ABC islands (Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire) are less likely to be affected by storms since they are so far south. Our first trip to the Caribbean was to Aruba and we loved it. We've been vacationing on islands ever since!! In fact, I am considering Bonaire or Turks & Caicos for next summer.

tim Aug 1st, 2001 09:12 AM

Given the cost you have outlined, you might want to check into location by airfare. <BR> <BR>Given that it is the "low-season" you might get a good deal. (Most airlines, like American and Continental have package deals.) <BR> <BR>I haven't stayed at one, but all inclusives like a Club Med, might provide a better value. I know there are several in Jamaica and there are generally direct flights from the U.S. <BR> <BR>The other possibility, if you wanted to get a flavor of the Caribbean and different places is a cruise. Again, I'm not a big fan of them but some people love the opportunity to see multiple islands. <BR> <BR>

Karen Aug 1st, 2001 09:27 AM

You are going at the "peak" of hurricane season. Doesn't mean one will visit when and where you are tho. Consequently many resorts and restaurants do close during this very traditional slow time. AA.com vacations does have some pretty good prices for packages available during that time that include both land and air. You might want to look at their site to get some idea of prices. <BR>Many people complain about "island time" v inhospital service. Things move much much slower than in a NYMinute! But, usually a warm hello or Good morning, evening, Good Day warms up the Islanders right away! I can't say I've found many "rude" people but some cultures do tend to be more "private and standoffish-feeling." Quite the opposite than when I had a heart attack on my one an only visit to an Outback when the server sat down at the table! :-) <BR>You might look at the islands that have direct flights (a definate advantage for time savings and lessens the opportunity for problems if a storm hits PR but not where you are going). The further south you go in the Caribb, traditionally, the safer you are. But NO PLACE is guaranteed from hurricanes that time of year! St. Martin, St. Thomas (the mecca) and Barbados might give you the shopping and sight seeing. Do you want beachfront? You want snorkling off the beaches or would you prefer to trip to snorkle? Explore other islands on day trips (the USVI islands of St. John an dSt. Thomas are good for that as well as the BVI). Good eats with a French influence? St. Martin. So many things to consider! But you have to remember that if you are not paying 5* prices, you are not going to get, probably, 5* service!

tim Aug 1st, 2001 10:28 AM

Heather, <BR> <BR>Again you will get different answers from different people, but: <BR> <BR>I really liked Barbados. Great beaches, friendly people and the home of Mount Gay Rum! I also liked St. Martin (the French side) great restaurants and a certain European attitude. St. Croix and St. John's were both nice as well and St. Vincent was very cool but that was on a sailboat trip. <BR> <BR>I personally hated St. Lucia. I think the main town Castries is flithy and I didn't find the people all that nice. All the better otels are all inclusive.honeymoon spots of which I'm not personally a fan. Some people love that. <BR> <BR>The suggestion to check American was a good one. If you wait until November, the prices will still be low and it starts to be the tail end of Hurricane season! <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR>

heather Aug 1st, 2001 10:49 AM

Thanks Tim! With all these great reviews sans St. Lucia, I'm sure I'll find a suitable one for a first timer to the Caribbean. <BR> <BR>Thanks to all that responded!

rick Aug 3rd, 2001 04:21 AM

for what you want to spend, you may want to consider sunset beach resort in montego bay, jamaica. we stayed there last year and it cost us from ohio, about 2800 and was all-inclusive. there's lots to do, good food, good entertainment and you really don't have to leave the resort if you don't want. e-mail me for more info. good luck with your choice. rick

cj Aug 7th, 2001 05:17 AM

Just curious -- why is it that you never see people call it St. Thomas's, St. Lucia's, St. Martin's, St. Croix's, etc., but so many people can't get it straight that it's ST. JOHN, not St. John's? (Drives me crazy!)

anonymous Aug 7th, 2001 06:02 AM

maybe 'cause they wanna go to Antigua or New Brunswick? Hear about the guy that got tickets to "St. John's" and when he got off the plane he was surprised he wasn't in the USVI? :-)