Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which resort has the best food in the Caribbean and Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning another vacation and want to go to an all inclusive. Which hotel do you feel has the best food? All imput is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 05:12 AM
KVR

We've been to 14 AI's in Mexico/Caribbean. The only hotel we can actually say where we throughly enjoyed the food was The Royal Playa del Carmen. Oh, and the Princess Cruise we took.

We tend to stay at budget or low budget AI's. We like their breakfast and unlimited drinks and then we usually eat off property also. The higher end AI's tend to have the better food, with the exception of Sandals. For the prices they charge, their food really isn't up to par.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Based on my experiences in the Caribbean, the Club Med villages in Guadeloupe and Martinique offered the best food (in terms of selections, preparations, and value). French cuisine, with a local touch, and at an affordable price. And those wonderful desserts and cheeses!!
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 05:36 AM

In Mexico, it's been Puerto Vallarta for us for a good number of years. We stay non all-inclusive - the dining out is great there, with hundreds of restaurants to choose from, all kinds of food, and prices. A shame to stay all-inclusive and not sample what it offers.

I've posted a trip report on our dining out in Puerto Vallarta.

Happy planning - good luck!! Cheers.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM
KVR

But, the question specifically requested AI resorts in which people thought it served good food.

Let's try to stay on topic and not turn this thread into an AI vs. non-AI debate.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Are you stuck on AI? The best food in the Caribbean is Anguilla, followed by St. Martin and St. Barth. So if you're true foodies, that's the way to go.

If you just happen to like AIs and are looking for one with good food, the best AI based on food is Club Med San Salvador, Bahamas. The food there is actually to die for. But even though it's an AI, it's not like your typical mega resort AIs with multiple restaurants, etc, and the eating hours are limited. (you can get light snacks throughout the day though.) The beach is quite stunning there too.

If you're looking for a bigger resort with multiple restaurants, I'd listen to KVR on that one, I consider KVR the expert with many different AIs throughout the islands.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:18 AM

Are you using the term AI because of cost or simply all activities and meals except spa. If so, then unless snorkeling is important I would say the food at Biras Creek Resort in the BVI's has the best food. It also is on the expensive side but if you get a eak by trying the auction through LuxuryLink.com it becomes more resonable.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 07:20 PM

I haven't been there but I've read about Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen area and it looks very nice. If I had to choose an AI in the area, I'd consider it from what I've seen. I think it's kind of pricey though.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM

Palm Island in the Grenadines is an AI with the best food. The food is VERY good.

Three meals a day, tea at 4PM along with pastries, all drinks (they even offer to get "real" ice cream from the kitchen for blended drinks if you want),wines and local beers. There is a small refrigerator in you room, which is replenished once a day. When you arrive, one of the bartenders is on the dock waiting with a tray of rum punches. We have been to many places and they have THE BEST rum punch we've ever had. After watching them make it one day, we understood why.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM

The Hyatt in Curacao is brand new thus they hired some very skilled international chefs. The Shor and Medi restaurants were amazing!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
KVR

I didn't realize that the Hyatt in Curacao had an AI plan. Is that new?
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Mexico's Riviera Maya...Royal Hideaway...Grand Velas...Iberostar Paraiso Grand.