Solo Travel during July to islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 10 day break in my schedule at work and am going to use it for a trip to the caribbean. I will be traveling solo for most of the trip so I want someplace that is safe and has someone looking out for you. I am so overwhelmed by the choices I thought I would start here for advice on where to start.

I am looking for a hotel/resort with several criteria in mind - I want to relax on this trip! So, (1) an amazing pool (that does not have alot of children running around) that overlooks the ocean; (2) multiple dining options either at the hotel or within a couple blocks walking distance; (3) good service and decent accomodations -it doesn't have to be a 5 star hotel but I'd love to find a 3 or 4 star hotel trying to be a 5 star, and (4) an option to do some actitivies, that could be organized by a very well connected conceirge, whether its horseback riding, parasailing, helicopter tour, watersports or something else. Did I mention that I am doing this on a budget? I'll be flying from Charlotte. I can stay from 4 to 8 days but want to keep the price, with meals, transfer fees and all, under $2000. Is this doable or should I plan on Florida (ugh!).
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

Hi
How about the Turks and Caicos, US air flies direct from Charlotte
Look on the vrbo.com web site there are two studio units for rent for 1200 per week at the Alexandra resort. They have a nice swim up pool bar , restaurant, excursion desk, and great beach . You could also walk to a few restaurants and its right on the beach.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:14 AM

Cathy,

With your budget in mind and all you want to do, would a cruise appeal to you? Airfare to an East Coast port would be affordable, the food would be awesome, you'd always be overlooking a big body of water, and you'd have plenty of opportunities to do stuff you can afford.

The few-kids part... that's debate-able depending on the ship you choose. And if really want to travel solo, you could afford the "single supplement." (Or you can check cruisemates.com or cruisecritic.com and hunt for other solo travelers you might feel comfortable sharing space with.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. A cruise really won't work for me as I get sea-sick - even on the really big boats. I'll check on T/C. Any other ideas?
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM

Anything pique your interest at Skyauction.com? Do a search for packages that include air and hotel. CALL the hotel to see if your dates are available, should you decide to bid. Check for any additional costs traveling from CLT.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM

Hi Cathy,
We went to Turks and Caicos last year and we'd love to go back. It's very safe and the people are wonderful. You can snorkle everyday right in front of Coral Gardens Resort where we stayed. There is a shallow coral reef with starfish, a family of turtles and many fish. I also saw an eagle ray, squid, and beautiful coral. I live for this type of vacation. Tomorrow we had out for Grand Cayman--2ND time--snorkeling ia also beyond belief--and stingray city is an experience of a LIFETIME.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Hi Cathy
If you can travel July 1st week or July 8th week, A friend of mine just e-mailed me with an opening for a studio ocean front cancellations specials at the Alexandra resort. If you are interested e-mail me privately [email protected]