Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Solo Thanksgiving Vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/solo-thanksgiving-vacation-1077828/)

JessicaS12 Nov 9th, 2015 08:19 PM

Solo Thanksgiving Vacation

Hi All - I'm recently widowed and in my early 30's... looking to escape the NYC area during Thanksgiving week. I'd like to find a beach resort (all inclusive ok but not mandatory as I don't drink) so I can just catch up on a few books and relax under the sun. Trying to avoid oversize family resorts, and anyplace too crowded. Trying to take some time away to heal. I realize that may be an issue given it's such a busy travel week, but would love to hear suggestions on more low key resorts. My budget is around $2k with some flexibility. Please just let me know if I haven't provided enough detail... or if you have any suggestions! Thank you.

RoamsAround Nov 10th, 2015 03:53 AM

Most All Inclusives are going to be "bigger" resorts as the principal of "economy of scale" is a major factor in their business plan. Also, as you already know, Thanksgiving is a fairly busy time so many reports, regardless of their size, will be at or near capacity making even the smaller ones feel crowded. Lastly, during Thanksgiving week you are going to run into families no matter where you go unless you stay at an "adults only" resorts (which will either be over your budget or more of a party atmosphere than you are seeking.

If All Inclusive is important to you look at places in Cancun, Cozumel, the Dominican Republic and Jamaica - there are literally hundreds of resorts in those destinations that will be in your price range.

You might want to look at Cape Santa Maria Resort on Long Island in the Bahamas. It's a small, quite resort on a very nice white sand beach. It's a little difficult to reach since it entails a change of planes in Nassau but it is worth the effort.

Also, look at Timothy Beach Resort on St. Kitts or Allamanda Beach Club on Anguilla.

JessicaS12 Nov 10th, 2015 05:30 AM

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, all inclusive would be ok but not really ideal. Thanks so much for taking the time to offer recommendations. I'll be researching them this morning!

Best,
J-

Inakauaidavidababy Nov 11th, 2015 11:09 AM

I have nothing to offer other then my condolences, wishing you a healing Thanksgiving and topping this for others who may have first hand suggestions.

blamona Nov 11th, 2015 12:52 PM

Turks and Caicos sounds perfect for you.

Try:

Villa Renaissance
Le Vele

At Vrbo try The Grand View

TCI overall is a quiet destination, you can try lessor properties, they'll have some kids but it's not an over run type destination, so you can add

Sibonne
Ocean Club West

All the above are walking distance to many restaurants and shops too

Best beach in the world for reading and staring

Inakauaidavidababy Nov 11th, 2015 04:45 PM

I see on tripadvisor that Delta has some great rates to turks and caicos

blamona Nov 12th, 2015 05:25 AM

Jetblue currently has awesome rates

Inakauaidavidababy Nov 12th, 2015 12:34 PM

What are 'awesome' rates? I wanted to make my flight schedule, so didn't study and just pulled the trigger from Boston to Provo for $500. Seemed like a decent but not awesome rate.

Andrew304 Nov 13th, 2015 02:10 PM

Hi Jessica -

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss.

T+C is a good, but very expensive location - clean and safe...some rave about the food, but I found it non-gourmet for the $$ to say the least (fried stuff that came from a frozen bag at Costco)... I found the whole thing not a good value for the $$ - over priced and under delivered, but safe and clean.

Anguilla ticks all your boxes. Very safe - a single woman will not stick out or be a target, clean, organized and the local people are some of the nicest folks you will ever meet - a little less pre-packaged and American than T+C. It is also very expensive.

Take a look at Carimar, Turtle's Nest, Shoal Bay Villas and see if you can make those work - all are very nice condos right on the beach. Many people drive around to various beaches and restaurants on Anguilla, but it is very dark at night and I think as a woman going solo, that may be a bit much. Mead's Bay has lots of places to stay and lots of excellent food options - it will be a matter of budget. Feel free to float some ideas of places if you find something interesting... there is also an active and very supportive community on TA that will guide you with a high degree of integrity.

St. John in the USVI could be a good option. If you are OK just staying on campus, the Marriott on St. Thomas is also a good option for a woman alone.

Last suggestion is Grand Cayman. Again, expensive. Look at any of the chain hotels or condos on 7 mile beach and pick your price.

Clearly it is not my money, but I would go for the safe, tranquil islands, especially if you can make the $$ work.